• Subscribe
  • Marketing Teams vs. "Individuals" on Product Hunt?

Adam Kershner
    4 replies
    As a product enthusiast, I feel like more and more marketing teams are dominating discussion threads and upvotes on Product Hunt. I go on Product Hunt every day to see what's up, check in with friends, and support new products. But, recently I've been sensing a trend that a larger proportion of the featured content (product pages, discussion posts, etc.) is stemming from marketing teams. This may be a hot take, but for a long time, I felt like Product Hunt was a place for product people to get discovered and for quality products to rise (not saying products backed by teams aren't also wonderful), but I just feel like the spirit of the community is steadily shifting. What's your take on this?

Replies

Hello_Joy
    Interesting! 🤩 Well... I believe it depends on the community's style. Most solopreneurs, indie makers, or small startups connect, share feedback, and support each other on Product Hunt. Through this community process, we can find PMFs, test MVPs, and expand the sales funnel. As a result, I believe good products rise to the surface naturally
    Aida Zu
    Marketing teams are also individuals. I don't think this is a right thing to ask. I do understand your feeling, when the marketing teams are kind spamming, but there are few teams in PH, that I really adore and love everything they do in here. Check the Klu's team @sandradjajic It's not about the teams or individuals, but but the approach. Real people around the real products - that's the thing that makes everything sparkle.
    @aidai_zu I fully agree with you Aidai and I genuinely think that marketing teams don’t have the right passion to market the product, and usually that is very recognizable. Product Hunt is absolutely amazing place and I can see that by what happened with Klu after launch, and this is why we see more and more marketing teams taking on Product Hunt but they approach in my opinion is wrong. It’s too much marketing and very little about the product which product hunt is about.
    Alex Todd
    I am also getting a sense that a lot of the engagement is with dedicated marketing people who really don't add much value to the community. If feels like the platform is being gamed.