• Subscribe
  • Key Insights from 600 SaaS Founders

Olivier Côté
    15 replies
    Diving into MicroConf's survey, I stumbled upon some noteworthy trends among 600 revenue-generating SaaS founders Here's a link to the full article Founder Makeup : - 90% of bootstrapped SaaS ventures have at least one developer on the founder team. - Company with a developer founder grow 7% faster than all non-tech ones. Idea Origins: - 46% from Personal experiences - 24% from Customer challenges - 10% from Day jobs Onboarding: - 17% offer 'forever free' plans. - 66% provide free trials. - 78% of free trials don't need a credit card. Marketing Tactics: - 25% - Word of Mouth - 17% - SEO - 16% - Content Marketing -13% - Integrations/Partnerships Growth Insights: - Optimal founder count: 3 - Best monthly pricing: $250-$499 Founder History: - 62% started more than one business. While 2022 is in the rearview, these findings are still gold. Bring on the 2023 data!

Replies

Julien Zmiro
    Intercom
    Intercom
    Top Product
    Surprised to see "Word of mouth" so high. Super interesting, thanks for sharing!
    Ilyes Ouhadj
    Great insights, thanks!
    Olivier Côté
    @zedkira What metrics striked you the most?
    Olena Bomko
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    Thank you!
    Olivier Côté
    @olena_bomko no problem, what striked you the most?
    Olivier Côté
    @olena_bomko Yess that's right the survey result shows that business that sells $250-$499 are growth faster then others! It's all about the B2B model! 👌
    Daniel Zaitzow
    Neat insights! Love that "78% of free trials don't need a credit card."
    Daniel Zaitzow
    @olivier_cote I think optically it feels better specifically if you are looking for mass adoption. Id rather have tons of people in our app instead of sending tons of empty cart emails. As a potential user of software - I would say that deters me from signing up at least nine times out of ten. I also have a distain for the refund process because most SaaS companies bill in USA and I live in Canada (CAD) so sometimes I end up losing money on that process when they have stock Stripe / Wize or whatever.
    Olivier Côté
    @dzaitzow I agree but i think it really depends on your market. If you have a product that requires a lot of support, onboarding and you average a high monthly fee of ~300$/month asking for a credit card upfront can give you credibility and filter the customers that are not into your product after all. So your left with customers that can't see another day without your product! After all, it's all about the right pricing model for your business ✌️
    Daniel Zaitzow
    @olivier_cote 100% If its a B2B or Enterprise level consumer or a higher ticket sale it makes total sense. I still see lower cost players doing it too - the community seems split on it all. I love to see where the data about this stuff because I have a personal opinion but I love being wrong about how I feel when the data comes out.