• Subscribe
  • Is scraping frowned upon?

phil k
    3 replies
    I'm in this niche and will be looking to launch something interesting in the near future. I'm encouraged by the success of Telescope and Apify/Crawlee esp. on here. Wow. They're doing very well ! If I'm half that successful I'll be over the moon 😂 So what do you think? Is scraping public data frowned upon or seen as a grey area? I'd love to know so I don't annoy you guys.

Replies

Owen Michael Donovan
    It depends on the use case. If you're scraping publicly available data and presenting it in a novel and useful way, I think that's fair game and provides real value. But mass scraping content without adding anything new could be seen as a gray area. As long as you're transparent about what you're doing and careful not to overload servers, I don't think the PH community will mind. Curious to see what you build!
    Gurkaran Singh
    Scraping public data can be like walking a tightrope - toe the line and you might just rock the show! Just keep it cool, stay respectful, and above all, sprinkle some tech magic to keep things interesting! 🚀