• Subscribe
  • Is product demo/workflow video a good way to validate an idea?

Mahir Mahdi
    14 replies
    I'm just starting out as a Indiehacker and I'm trying to validate my idea. I'm considering putting together a demo or a video showing how the product works on the landing page. Would that be a good way to validate the idea?

Replies

Romio
    Yes. Sometimes not even a landing page is required. In the initial stage, to find the real target audiences, a quick demo video (YouTube unlisted) with proper text (some people always turn off their audio - and most probably "not in full view") is all needed. If you see a little bit of traction, then landing page. One additional thing is to keep a blog and note down all the updates and pivots.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @romiojoseph But what about creating a demo of the workflow before actually building the product? Something like this one:
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Romio, thanks! I was thinking the same. Did you ever use a product demo video to validate an idea? I've a notion page to note down every detail about the product I'm gonna work on, so maybe once it gets validated I'll start a blog.
    Romio
    @mahir_mahdi I have a created a few quick ones in the past (some were good, some were bad). my idea and understanding is this; when we pitch something to someone, (if they are not the seeker) they don't want to read a bunch of text and all. They want to see what it is and how it is going to help them/useful to them. Maybe you have max 30 to 40 seconds to grab their attention I guess. And add a link with all the details in the description, if they are interested, they will click on it, track that link analytics.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @romiojoseph Yes our attention spans are shorter than a goldfish's, so a quick demo can be helpful in that case. Sometimes even a landing page with a clear message is not enough, because people might be interested in our product, but they could have different preferences on how they want to use it. So product demo/workflow video can help us understand the users' needs better. What tool did you use to create the demos?
    Romio
    @mahir_mahdi for unfinished products; screenshots + voiceover with the help of DaVinci Resolve. And for others, a quick screen recording of the workflow with either Dropbox capture or loom.
    Igor Lysenko
    If you present the idea correctly and speak out correctly, then the idea is good.
    Mahir Mahdi
    @ixord So as long as the message is clear, it's a good way right?
    Eliza Crescini
    Yes, creating a product demo or workflow video can be a good way to validate your idea. By creating a visual representation of your product or idea, you can get feedback from potential users and see if there is interest in what you're offering.
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Eliza, thanks! I believe sometimes even a landing page with a clear message is not enough, because people might be interested in our product, but they could have different preferences on how they want to use it. So product demo/workflow video can help us understand the users' needs better.
    Adrian
    Yes that’s exactly what we’ve done !
    Mahir Mahdi
    Hey Adrian, how was the result?