Is a Tech Co-Founder Necessary?

Demi Jones
4 replies
If you are a “non tech” founder of a company do you think it’s necessary to have a “technical” co-founder, why or why not?

Replies

Pawel
Hi! If you want to raise funds - yes, definitely. You need to have in-house ability to build the product, pivot, move fast etc. With this approach, commitment is important, which I feel comes from the number of shares. To explain: you find a grat co founder = he/she gets shares. You find and hire a CTO = she/he has to get the right amount of shares to be involved. If you want to bootstrap for now - its great! You can outsource, learn to code or just hire CTO. But later you will need someone to step in, when you will have to go off for while.
Roberto Morais
This is a hard question. I would say it depends. I've seem business that failed mostly because they didn't have a technical co-founder but also I've seem others who succeed without one. If your product is a software you will need one at some point, specially if your intention is to get funding. If you're bootstrapping it's reasonable to start without one if someone on your team knows how to hire and/or manage a tech team/person. Besides that now you have some option with no-code tools, going on that direction helps to start without a tech cofounder as well. Hope it helps.
Demi Jones
@robertomorais It does, thank you. I too have seen teams do well without a tech co-founder just by hiring a dev. But, I have also heard the horror stories of companies failing due to the founders not understanding the tech side of things. So, I was just curious as to what others thought about the subject.
Umut Sönmez
No. Go and hire a full team of IT people. Let them be your CTO. This is the best way to grow rapidly.