• Subscribe
  • Is a Degree Worth It in the Age of AI?

Paula Schiffelbein
    20 replies
    👩🏻‍💻 With technology reshaping industries at an incredible pace, the traditional idea of studying a specific field and working in that area for life is being challenged. I studied agronomy, but today, I run my own startup studio where I create startups across different industries. It’s been a journey of learning and adapting, often far from the textbooks. 🌱 As self-taught skills, AI, bootcamps, and alternative educational paths gain traction, the question arises: Is a traditional career path still an advantage, or has the playing field leveled? 🎓 Have you found your education to be a strong asset in your career, or have you had to pivot and learn entirely new skills? Do you work in the same field you studied, or has your path taken unexpected turns? Share your thoughts and experiences—let’s discuss how new technologies are transforming the real value of a degree!

Replies

Vlad Yan
    The format of education is already changing, if we are talking about the process of acquiring new knowledge. But degree is not only knowledge, but also the ability to make meaningful connections, to explore, to question, to discuss with people with similar contexts
    Simon🍋
    College/university isn't just book learning, it's major personal growth time. That network you build is gold for future opportunities. And yeah, having that degree still matters big time in most professional fields.
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @simonas_kauzonas Hi Simon, it's true that college offers significant growth and networking opportunities. But in today’s world, we need to question whether spending 4 to 10 years on a degree is the best use of time, given the rapid pace of technological change. The challenge might be to find ways to deliver the same benefits more efficiently and flexibly. Thanks for adding your thoughts! Congrats on https://www.producthunt.com/prod... !
    Neta Burnum
    I think what's really important is the way we think...
    Prince Virani
    I believe that a degree shows that a person's basics are solid.
    Hasan Mahmood
    I think continuous skill development is key, whether through a degree or alternative learning sources
    Paul Hill
    While an AI degree could be worthwhile, real-world AI projects and building a practical AI portfolio will likely get you further these days. AI is moving so fast that by the time you finish a 4-year degree, the tech will have advanced significantly. Focus on gaining hands-on experience with the latest AI tools and models, publishing useful projects, and networking in the AI community. That said, the math, stats and CS fundamentals you'd learn in a degree program are still quite valuable, especially for AI research roles vs applied AI engineering.
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @paulhill8 Hi Paul!!! You’re absolutely right. The fast-paced nature of AI development makes practical experience crucial. Combining foundational knowledge with hands-on projects not only keeps skills current but helps with adaptability. I love that you’re an indie maker, Paul! I believe education should focus more on developing independent thinkers and critical problem solvers who understand the purpose behind their solutions, not just training employees. We need more flexible, rapid, and innovative programs that prioritize creativity. I'd love to connect with you, at CM64 Studio, we're also indie makers ✨!
    Anthony Harris
    A degree still matters a lot for most professional careers. AI isn't close to replacing the full value of college - the personal growth, networking, and learning how to learn are huge. A degree shows you can stick with something challenging for 4+ years which employers love to see.
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @harrisi253 Hi Anthony, you raise important points about dedication and personal growth. While a college degree is valuable for building character and perseverance, I believe we need to prepare students to become creators of job opportunities, not just employees, especially as AI reshapes the workforce. Similar to how the internet transformed access to knowledge, AI is making skill acquisition more flexible, and Yescribe is a great example of that too. Maybe it’s time to rethink education, promoting continuous learning and adaptability alongside traditional paths. Thanks for sharing your perspective!
    Alex gleen
    Humans can do mosth of the things that Ai can't do (critical thinking, problem solving) 😃
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @alex_gleen Hi Alex! Absolutely ☺️. Our ability to think critically, solve complex problems and I would add to have a meaningful purpose is what sets us apart from machines. As AI takes over routine tasks, education should focus on fostering these human strengths, along with adaptability. Thanks for your comment! I would like to know more about "your own sunshine ☀️"!
    Milo Nathaniel Thorne
    Degree still matters big time for most professional jobs. AI won't replace that personal growth and networking gold you get in college. Worth it IMO.
    Daniel James Harris
    AI is revolutionizing so many fields, a degree focused on AI could be really valuable. Combines computer science fundamentals with the latest in machine learning, natural language processing, robotics, etc. Seems like it would open up a ton of opportunities. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has pursued or is pursuing an AI-focused degree and how they feel about the ROI so far.
    William Willey
    Ai is powerful but it is not infallible
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @william_willey Hi William!! Exactly. AI should extend our capabilities but still relies on human insight and judgment. I believe education must adapt to teach us how to use AI responsibly and creatively. Thanks for your input!
    Jeyoung Jung
    I think in the age of ai, everyone can learn anything online, but there is still value in connecting with people and engaging in activities in uni. And we don't know the future yet, maybe AGI might arise very far in the future, so we always have to be prepared and delve into our interests and passions. However, we should always be rational, and keep in mind that some jobs might get replaced by AI anytime soon.
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @zezero00 Hi Jeyoung! That's a great point. Online learning makes knowledge more accessible than ever, but the value of personal connections remains. As AI evolves, I think adaptability will become a key asset, alongside nurturing our passions. We’re more empowered than ever to shape our own destinies because low-value, repetitive jobs are becoming less necessary. It’s up to us to make technology accessible to everyone, sharing knowledge and developing user-friendly solutions that can empower people worldwide. I noticed your work at Hearth what an inspiring way to connect with people’s purposes and bring value into their lives! I'll be looking into your company to learn more about how you’re driving meaningful engagement. Thanks for sharing your perspective!
    Aniyah Hoovers
    A degree provide sold foundation on knowledge and skills, AI cannot replace that
    Paula Schiffelbein
    @aniyah_hoovers Hi Aniyah! Thanks for sharing! A solid foundation is indeed valuable, but I think with AI accelerating the pace of change, lifelong learning becomes crucial. It’s less about replacing degrees and more about evolving the way we build and update that foundation to keep pace. Thanks for your comment!