In the world of SaaS tools, what matters more - pixel-perfect UI/UX or functionalities?

Kritarth Mittal
19 replies
While there are a bunch of subpar products out there that don't do anything about how a user feels using the app, some are the best design-oriented tools but don't have much utility. What makes a user become loyal and a paid user?

Replies

Jake
Customers can forgive a lot as long as you provide them with real value that solves their problem
Kritarth Mittal
@octocode fair point but the question remains - do you want them to forgot about crazy features or sexy design?
Magic Mike Paine
The focus should be on functionality. If it solves a problem or creates less friction, then you have a good product, regardless of how pretty it is. Now the UX needs to be easy to understand, clean and simple so that the functionality shines. The pixel perfect will help it sell better, so both are important, but the priority should be functionality.
@mpaine agree 100%. Focus on functionality and adding value. UI/UX can be improved overtime. If the customer is getting value for what they pay, they’ll stay. If not they are not going to stay regardless of how pretty the UI is
Tej Garikapati
Initial traction is coz of UI. You can see it here as well that most 'product of the day' apps are the ones with great UI. But, saas users are pretty pragmatic, you will have high churn rates if you dont develop the functionality soon enough. Not usual advice, but get great ui, get traction and then slowly build functionality.
Sergiy Ovcharenko
A balance of both, I believe. But we live in a world when it is extremely difficult to keep this balance, and very often you should choose the priority. In this case, real value supported by necessary features.
Carol Moh
Functionality over UI/UX if I had to pick (of course balance of both would be ideal!) but I have persevered with pretty terrible user experience with apps because the functionality/value they were providing was good. I think also if the experience is bad then the reasons they stay are: 1. Something no one else is doing and they have no choice. 2. Cheapest compared to others with good functionality (customers will sacrifice experience for quality and cost!) 3. They are hanging on because they know updates and refreshes are coming and fairly satisfied with price and quality.
Tyrone Robb
Launching soon!
It depends, if the product is so poorly designed you can't convince your mother to use it or she doesn't understand it before she signs up/downloads then it doesn't matter how good it is. On the other side if you have been able to get enough people through your ugly website and convinced them to pay then the functionality will be what wins to PMF.
Kritarth Mittal
@interseed_ty makes sense, I also think as long as the utility is unbeatable, people will wait for it to look nicer
Jaspar Carmichael-Jack
**Increased User Adoption**: A beautiful and intuitive interface can significantly improve user adoption. Users are more likely to try and stick with a tool that feels familiar, easy to navigate, and aesthetically pleasing.
Kritarth Mittal
@jasparcj but they can only know about the UI/UX after they sign up. And their decision to sign up has to be driven by utility. So, I guess by a close margin, feature wins over design.
ISTIAK AHMAD
It's the age-old dance between style and substance! In the SaaS arena, it's like asking, "What matters more in a pizza - the perfect crust or the toppings?" Ideally, you'd want both, right?
Crypto Signals
Both pixel-perfect UI/UX and robust functionalities matter in the world of SaaS tools. An effective balance ensures a positive user experience and user satisfaction, ultimately contributing to the success of the software. source:businessspotty.com