If you can go back in time what advice would you give to yourself on the start of your tech journey?

Vlad Zivkovic
78 replies
Product Hunters share what you would say to your past self and how do you think it will affect your journey.

Replies

Zoe Stetsenko
"Don't be so shy! And don't be afraid of mistakes!":) cool topic, thanks Vladimir!
Get a job in the field you want to work in and seek a mentor, there's no end to learning and it's harder to learn without a mentor
Vlad Zivkovic
@atik_hossain It does give you a lot of value when you have someone to provide advice.
Gibril Longmene
@atik_hossain you are absolutely right. i remember when i started coding, i had to learn more than 5 programming languages because i didn't know exactly which one will be suited for what i wanted to be.
Jochen Schneider
@atik_hossain so true. And mentors can make a huge difference but it’s hard to finde the ones that fit best for your needs
@ebenezer_benson I am but a humble starter, not sure if I qualify to mentor someone yet :P BUT, feel free to connect with me, I will do my best in whatever way I can
Suyash Chaudhari
'Better done than perfect' is what I would say.
Kavita
@suyash_chaudhari The 80/20 rule is what I use for this! If it's 80% there, then that's good enough as a starting point.
Martin Baun
Documenting my learnings, Cultivating a habit of documenting my learnings as my progress on my tech journey. By creating a comprehensive knowledge repository, you not only solidify your understanding but also enable continuous growth and improvement.
Mark Pavlyukovskyy
Embrace the bugs, stay curious, and enjoy the tech journey!
Jochen Schneider
Work on your sales skills and build a community around a topic you are highly engaged in.
I would have been more involved in sales. I believe it's a skill that would help you no matter which field you are in.
Kavita
Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone - it's the best way to acclerate your learning.
Gibril Longmene
"focus on the skills and grow your network"
André J
Launching soon!
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Soner Alemdar
I would push myself to be more curious 🤔
Deluar Hosain
More networking, learning, and sharing.
Emelie Holgersson
3 Startup and Venture Capital Learnings - Pick your battles (like, seriously, don't sweat the small things) - Learn coding, even as a non-techie - Don't complicate things. Simple ideas isn't equal to basic/bad
Antoni Kozelski
1. be open to continuous learning and personal growth; 2. don't be afraid to take risks and make mistakes;
Amulya Prasad
Anything is possible!! I'm believing more in this with age. This advice would have paced up my journey
Orysia Khimiak
Fuck-ups are ok. They give you the most memorable lessons. Surround yourself with people with high emotional intelligence.
Might sound weird. But since you have asked about starting "tech journey", here you go. Tech isn't all tech. It also consists of other functions like design, marketing, sales, operations, and so much more. Something that most people who do not have much idea about how tech companies work don't know. This is very much true and widespread in tier 2 and 3 cities of India if I am right.
truesteel23
Focus on creating value for other people and nothing else
Renat Abyasov
Invest in Bitcoin :D But seriously, always say yes, don't be afraid to ask and get out of your comfort zone.
Simon Peter Damian
I had to think a little bit to answer this one. It would be 1. Share as much of your knowledge as you can. Write, blog, tutorials, advise, mistakes etc. Share with the world. It doesn't have to be perfect, just share 2. Build a career; work for a really good company and try to climb up the ladder there. Unfortunately not possible for startups so don't spend too long at startups 3. Network like crazy.
Vlad Zivkovic
@theterminalguy Yeah careers in startups are not very awesome, but are very rewarding if you get into right one...