I need a new camera and mic: What should I buy?

Casper Brix
9 replies
Hi PH, I need your help! I'm looking to upgrade my home-office setup where I frequently create videos, make Looms and take video calls that I record for content sharing. ... But I need to produce content of higher quality (both video and sound) 📹 What are some budget-friendly products that you recommend? And do you recommend a webcam, a camera, a separate microphone or built-in, etc.? Help me take my home-office-content-setup to the next level 🚀

Replies

Justin Crosbie
You can do very well with just an iPhone or iPad or latest Android from the past couple of years these days, esp for video - I don't believe many are substituting an upgraded camera any more, phone cameras are that good now. If you have a Mac older than 2 years, you may want to get a WebCam, as they only do 720, not 1080, and you will notice the difference. But even then you should be able to use your iPhone as an external camera. For phone, there's not much need to swap to a mic either, unless you're recording music, etc. However, you can get a better sound if you really want from an external mic - because you can use a condenser mic, or stereo mics, etc. Many content creators do use external mics. But if you're using a laptop/desktop, then you'll probably want a mic there as well if you can't use your phone (I would use my phone though). Even on laptop - AirPods sound great recorded, and do a hell of a job noise cancelling. For a cheap option I would recommend a USB Blue Yeti. A lot of content creators use that one, and its cheap. You can spend more, and get higher quality, it depends on what you want, but thats fine. Nearly every podcaster uses the Shure SM7B.
Casper Brix
@justin_crosbie You're a legend! Just the response I was looking for. For a start, can you recommend using my phone to record and an external mic such as the Blue Yeti? I struggle now with the sound of my AirPods being bad, and the general video quality of my laptop (+2 year old version) not being good enough. So, I want to upgrade but within a good budget range Or would a webcam be best for video?
Justin Crosbie
@casper_brix Yeah, like I said you'll get a good result with just your phone, if it records high quality video, which iPhones do. Try that, if you're not happy with the audio, get the Yeti. If you have to use your laptop, then you'll need a Webcam.
Kabir
The best equipment is always what you already have. Like they say - the best camera is what's on you. However, if you plan to set up a new desktop environment for audio/video-centric workflow, I have a ShowNote on my Mac (M1) Audio/Video setup for creating YouTube videos, podcasts, and blog embeds. Here is the link: https://shownotes.app/show/av It includes hardware, software, and SaaS services that I use. No affiliate links! :)
Casper Brix
@shownotes Cool! I agree - but it's time to upgrade. So, you have the webcam and Yeti setup?
Business Marketing with Nika
I am in the Sony team – many prefer Sony Alpha 7 IV but you need to consider that this one is quite pricy when you need lenses. It costs a rocket sometimes. On the other hand, the last iPhone is quite professional. Two last trips I took only my iPhone to take photos.
Casper Brix
@busmark_w_nika Cool, thanks for sharing! What do you use for your home setup? Is it always the Sony? And what about sound?
Business Marketing with Nika
@casper_brix I use Sony Alpha 7 III – but in your case, I would grab IV – this model can record more than 30 minutes (my stops recording after 29) minutes. The microphones I use are these: Wireless GO II