I had a hard time sleeping after Google I/O

Mehmet Çetin
4 replies
Yesterday, I watched Google IO at Google TR Office with 100 other engineers and I was surprised why many did not realize how big a transformation these AI tools will create in every industry and in the lives of 2+ billion people. For example, SEO as we know it will likely disappear with the generative AI search experience. They liken the developments in artificial intelligence to the invention of electricity, and I agree. The fact that one of the biggest tech giants with billions of users pays all attention to this topic made me a little scared, curious, and frankly confused. Time to reevaluate everything to stay in the game. For a career change, for job transitions, for choosing a major at university... whatever you're currently working on. We are going through a period where everything changes, and I think that those who don't care about it will face serious consequences. What do you think?

Replies

Penny Hartley
There is definitely a major uncertainty about jobs in the future and it also scares me. But at least we have some time now to contemplate which jobs won't likely be taken over by AI (in the near future) and try to move into those directions that allow us to find new innovative niche markets. All it takes is an idea.
Unknown User
Agree. Time to keep up with the change and adjust what we are doing to it. Not being scared of it. Embrace it. Make it relevant to our role.
Mehmet Çetin
@andres_rivera3 The only thing I'm afraid of is that insane investments in AI could cause it to spiral out of control. I don't expect a robot like the Terminator in the next few years, but leaving a significant amount of people out of work without much thought could cause major social problems. Beyond that, we must accept change, of course, but what ways should we follow to be able to do more creative and valuable work? This is the big question mark that interrupts my sleep.
Chris Sarca
Relax, it's not that big of a deal.