I bootstrapped a simple agency 0-100K in ~1 year. Here are my top 5 lessons

João Nina Matos
2 replies
Firstly, a quick note: it has not been an easy journey at all, by any means. Very irregular, and not linear. Also, 100K is not that much for a development agency (which is what I do), but nonetheless, I think perhaps my story's lessons might help others. 1. Biggest learning: you probably already know what to do. Most of the time, the advice you keep hearing is what to follow. Re-watching it feels like progress, but really isn't. Lots of the time, if you sit down and ask "What are things I should definitely be doing right now, but I'm not?", you'll probably come up with a list of things that will seriously improve your business if you implement them over a long enough time horizon. 2. Run experiments quickly. Seriously. As a small business, you have lots of disadvantages, so you have to use your advantages as much as possible. Speed is probably one of the biggest. Start experiments as soon as possible, and test them thoroughly. Test one thing at a time, and put your all into it. Something might stick. Quick note on this: don't run 10 different experiments at once, you probably won't be able to focus on any one enough to make a difference. 3. Spend more time implementing than learning. Implement, learn, implement, learn, etc. Learning without context is quite ineffective. If you read about how to do a pushup, without having done one, it probably won't help. Do a push-up, then read about it, and you'll probably learn more. Try marketing, then learn about it, then execute again, then learn some more, etc. 4. Sometimes, violence is the answer. Just do more. Sometimes all you need is more reps of the same thing. It may not be scalable, but you have to get momentum somehow. Sometimes more of the boring work is exactly what you need to do. This is a reality I'm only starting to come to terms with. It is not fun. 5. Track more things, so you win more. Sometimes, revenue won't go up, but you're making progress in other places. The more metrics you track, the more places you can win. Every win is worth something in the mental game, which is ultimately the hardest. Track more inputs, because you can control those. Aim to always get above average, everyday. This has helped me hugely, to remind me I'm always progressing in at least one domain. Hope you guys found this little thread helpful :)

Replies

Lindsay Davis
A job well done! Keep up the great work! 💪