• Subscribe
  • How to contribute to an open-source project

Idan Asulin
    5 replies
    The contribution process 1. Find a nice project for example Redis, NATS, Memphis{dev} 2. Get connected with the project’s community (Slack channels, Discord, website, GitHub repo, etc.) 3. Search for contribution guidelines. Often a file located within the project’s main repo called CONTRIBUTING.md 4. Fork the GitHub repository — Create a copy of the entire repo on your GitHub account 5. Creating a separate branch from the main branch 6. Code your changes (bug fixes, new features, etc.) 7. Push your changes 8. Create a pull request of your branch to the upstream repo 9. Get your PR reviewed by one of the repo maintainers (Usually happens automatically) 10. Fix issues and comments left by the maintainer 11. Awaiting your code to be merged 12. Celebrate your first contribution with some cold beer :-)

Replies

vindeep chaudhari
    This is exactly what I looking for, gonna bookmark this. Thanks for sharing!
    Rich Watson
    NVSTly: Social Investing
    NVSTly: Social Investing
    Solid post
    Chester
    Perfect Notes
    PrepaidGiftBalance
    Ways to contribute to open source projects Create your own open source project. Every project should start with an identified need. ... Create open source alternatives to commercial software. Today's commercial projects actively engage open source solutions. ... Contribute to existing open source projects. myccpay
    flo merian
    Great topic, @idan_asulin! And thanks for sharing this detailed process. I recently started contributing to OSS too, and enjoy doing it. From this experience, I learned two main lessons:
    1. You can start contributing anytime,
    2. You don't need to code to contribute to an open-source project.
    For non-developers, you can contribute in many (7) different ways:
    1. Sponsor // It can be as simple as buying a coffee. Check GitHub Sponsors.
    2. Translate
    3. Document
    4. Test
    5. Manage issues
    6. Design
    7. Engage in communities // Join discussions, give talks, and help spread the word.
    Let's get started!