• Subscribe
  • How many people you know who struggle at communicating during performance reviews

Gaurav Singhal
    3 replies
    Communication is a big problem, especially for people in the IT field. They can code well but when it comes to the yearly performance review they fail and end up not getting any promotion or appraisal. The person sitting opposite the table is quite good at this and runs you down. Can you also tell what problems do these people face?

Replies

Aishwarya
    Of course! I have been on this side of the table where I have struggled to showcase my skills during the performance review only because my manager showed my work as his and then got a big promotion. So, when my turn came, the people thought I was a small part of the project that was "Worked" by my manager and my explanations went unheard.
    Marc-Oliver Gewaltig
    If you are the manager holding the interview, then it is your job to create an atmosphere of trust and safety. Only then will people open up. Also keep in mind that the term "performance review" is already discouraging an open communication. Who are you anyway to judge someone's performance? If you want to motivate and encourage your team members, meet them at eye level and be interested in the things that may hold them back. Don't ever meet them from a manager-subordinate perspective. You will only cause resent and frustration.
    Jennifer
    Absolutely, communication can be a major hurdle during performance reviews, especially for those who are more comfortable with technical tasks than with self-promotion. Often, people struggle with articulating their achievements or demonstrating their impact effectively grim reaper squishmallow. It can be helpful to practice discussing accomplishments and setting clear goals ahead of time to bridge this gap.