• Subscribe
  • How important is CNAME for your community?

Desmond Leong
    7 replies
    Was wondering if you were to build your own community, would it be important for it to be on your own domain? Eg. community.yourdomain.com?

Replies

Rich Watson
    We use Discord but I've been wanting to create or own right on our website/app with some of the same features as Discord and similar layout- as 90% of our users originated from Discord
    Rich Watson
    @genesiv It's a bot for stocks & crypto traders. They can log & track their trades with in-depth performance stats. They can also share them simultaneously to other Discord's via webhooks or to Twitter. It also has some general market data commands like charts, stock stats, etc.
    Desmond Leong
    @richw yeah in an amazing way, Discord's communication structure with them channels and categories works really well. By the way, what do you mean that 90% of your users originated from Discord? Like they came from other Discord servers?
    Desmond Leong
    @richw oh wow that's actually a great idea. What kind of bot did you guys create if you don't mind me asking?
    Rich Watson
    @genesiv Yeah our app started out as a bot. Servers started adding it and thats how we grew
    David J. Kim
    I can't think of any notable communities around a brand that's on the brand's own site. i.e one of the best communities around Apple is on reddit. The Apple forums are mostly used for tech support
    Desmond Leong
    @between_team I wonder if Discord allowed white labelling, how many people would take it up and move their discord community onto their domain. Like - if you're running a private community, does Discord have any benefit in terms of discoverability? I think for reddit case it's slightly different as the network effects and discoverability definitely helps communities grow there.