• Subscribe
  • How I Grew My Startup to 20K+ Users by Engaging in Relevant Conversations using AI

Jijo John
    5 replies
    When you’re launching a startup, getting those first few customers can feel like an insurmountable challenge. You’ve put in the work built your product, launched your website, set up social media accounts but you’re still struggling to reach your target audience. Paid ads can get expensive fast, and without brand recognition, it can be hard to stand out in a crowded market. The key to my startup’s success didn’t come from traditional marketing. Instead, it came from tapping into conversations that were already happening on social media platforms like Reddit, X (formerly Twitter), and Hacker News. By engaging with people discussing problems that my product could solve, I was able to grow my startup to over 20,000 users in just a few months—without spending a fortune on ads. This strategy, while simple, is incredibly effective when done right. And in this article, I’m going to show you exactly how you can replicate it for your own startup. Why Social Media Conversations Are Critical for Growth When you’re trying to grow a new business, it’s tempting to focus on broadcasting your message—ads, posts, press releases—but many startups overlook the power of simply joining the conversation. On social media platforms like Reddit and Twitter, users frequently discuss the challenges they’re facing, products they need, and the solutions they’re seeking. These conversations are often unfiltered and authentic, providing a goldmine of insight into your target audience’s pain points. By stepping into these conversations at the right time, you’re not interrupting someone’s day with a cold pitch. Instead, you’re offering a solution to a problem they’ve already acknowledged, making your engagement feel timely and relevant. How I Found Customers by Engaging in Conversations My strategy for growing my startup was simple: I found where potential customers were talking about problems that my product could solve, and I joined the conversation in a helpful, authentic way. Instead of trying to hard-sell my product, I focused on building trust by offering advice, sharing insights, and helping people find solutions to their challenges. Over time, as people came to view me as a knowledgeable resource, they naturally became curious about what I was offering. This approach helped me: - Engaging with people without immediately trying to sell to them allowed me to build credibility and trust. - Because I was participating in relevant conversations, I wasn’t trying to convince people of a problem they didn’t have—they were already looking for a solution. - This method allowed me to grow my user base without spending heavily on advertising or other outreach methods. However, there’s a catch: finding and engaging in these conversations can take a lot of time. Social media is vast, and without a system in place, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts and discussions happening at any given moment. The Power of Automation in Social Engagement As my startup grew, I realized that manually searching for conversations and keeping up with multiple platforms was no longer sustainable. That’s when I started exploring tools that could help me automate some of the legwork, allowing me to focus more on engagement and less on searching. One tool that I recommend for any startup looking to scale their social media engagement is SocialSignalAI (https://socialsignalai.com ). It’s designed to help you discover relevant conversations happening across platforms like Reddit, X, and Hacker News. By tracking specific keywords and using AI to suggest context-aware responses, SocialSignalAI enables you to engage with potential customers more efficiently and effectively. Here’s what makes it useful: - SocialSignalAI continuously monitors conversations related to your industry or product keywords, ensuring you never miss a relevant discussion. - The tool suggests natural, conversational replies that can help you engage without sounding robotic or out of place. - You get notified the moment key conversations are happening, so you can jump in at the right time and offer your expertise. By automating the most time-consuming parts of the process, you can focus on what really matters—engaging with your audience and converting leads into customers. How You Can Leverage Social Conversations for Growth If you’re ready to start leveraging social media conversations to grow your startup, here are some actionable steps to follow: 1. Identify Where Your Audience Hangs Out: Not every social media platform will be relevant to your business. Identify the communities that matter—whether that’s specific subreddits, Twitter threads, or forums like Hacker News. 2. Track Conversations Around Key Topics: Manually searching for relevant conversations can work when you’re just starting out, but consider using a tool like SocialSignalAI to track keywords and monitor discussions in real-time. 3. Engage Authentically: It’s important to remember that social media users are savvy—they can tell when someone is being overly promotional. Focus on offering genuine advice and solutions before mentioning your product. 4. Be Consistent: Success doesn’t come overnight. Make engaging with these conversations a part of your daily or weekly routine, and you’ll build relationships and trust over time. The Results Are Real For startups, social media isn’t just a tool for broadcasting messages—it’s a way to build authentic, one-on-one relationships with potential customers. By focusing on listening, engaging, and offering value, you can turn casual conversations into real, long-term growth. While this strategy takes time and consistency, the payoff can be huge. And with tools like SocialSignalAI, the process of finding and engaging in these conversations becomes much easier. Rather than spending hours each day searching through forums and threads, you can focus on building relationships and nurturing leads—allowing you to scale your efforts and grow your startup faster than ever before. So if you’re ready to take your startup to the next level, start listening to the conversations happening in your industry today. You might just find your next 20,000 users waiting for you. Save 100 hours of time by using https://socialsignalai.com ,so you don't have to find and engage with customers manually.

Replies

Chloe Annette Miller
    Congrats on the 20K+ users! I'd be super interested to hear more details on how exactly you leveraged AI to drive those relevant conversations and grow the user base. Did you build your own AI models or use existing tools? I'm looking to do something similar for my own startup. Any tips or lessons learned you can share would be much appreciated!
    Benson Gao
    Great, I'll try my product based on your suggestions
    Jijo John
    SocialSignal AI
    SocialSignal AI
    @bensongao I recommend you to try https://socialsignalai.com
    Nicholas Ryan Carter
    Congrats on the user growth! AI can definitely help uncover relevant conversations to engage in. I've been playing around with using GPT-3 via Anthropic's API to find threads related to my product across Reddit, Twitter, etc. It's pretty powerful for automating the discovery of places to jump in and provide value or tactfully mention what I'm working on. Would love to hear more specifics on how you leveraged AI for this!