How do you structure your regular reporting meeting with superior ? (TPM/PM)

Slava More
1 reply
I work as TPM and my superior is far from technical things but we have to sync every 1-2 weeks. I know it's always challenging for big bosses to be in same field and be involved deeply into different team's processes. And I see it as my own responsibility to prepare an information for my boss so she could be involved and understand everything. Though when I am trying to think what are priorities for her only three things come to mind: 1. goal centricity 2. project's flow and roadmap 3. possible risks and trade-offs are kept into account Unfortunately it's not enough and she pushes me to dive deep into projects where we spend too much time and stuck and devalue the whole meeting. * Probably I should prepare better and provide some workshops. * Probably I should forecast upcoming questions she asks and try to answer them all. * Probably I should try to change the structure of our meetings. So did you have this challenge and how did you do it?

Replies

Jen Fox
We do daily standups, weekly data office hours and demos with our leaders and managers to keep them abreast more consistently. Meetings are kind of rough when there is no agenda or set deliverables to walk out of the discussion with. Do you feel comfortable asking your manager to do something different? perhaps ask her what she intends to take away from these catch-ups? If you are able to understand why she wants to meet with you - you can decide on the proper frequency and structure for the conversations.