How do you recover from burnout?

Ezgi Yeğinaltay
39 replies
One of the first things I do is to take some time off to rest and recharge. This sometimes means stepping back from my usual routine for a while. During this time, I make an effort to focus on self-care activities that I enjoy, such as reading, playing with my dog, or watching my favorite TV show. I find that doing things that make me happy and help me relax can be very effective in reducing stress and improving my mood. Finally, I make an effort to practice mindfulness and meditation regularly. This helps me to stay focused and centered, even when things get stressful. What do you do to recover from burnout? I'd love to hear about your experiences and strategies!

Replies

GamerSeo
Don't work too much and rest regularly.
Nuno Reis
Burning out is a very serious situation. Many people can recover on their own, but this is not the norm, and that is ok. Seek help and ask for help. It may be easier from friends, but get it from a professional also. Someone that can actually help you go through what you are feeling and dig into the reasons of the burnout so you can understand and tackle that and improve your life quality. I've seen several cases where people take years to recover from a burnout, and they do recover, so I want the main message here to be: YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
HyunGun Jung
@nuno_ms_reis What a warm and nice heartful message. Thank you, Nuno and yes, you are not alone, Ezgi
Ezgi Yeğinaltay
@nuno_ms_reis @jack_jung Yes, one of the sweetest messages I've ever received. Thank you 😊
HyunGun Jung
I also got into meditation and it really helped. And I found that journaling in the morning is very helpful. It's important to have a third-person perspective of yourself, and journaling and reviewing makes this a lot easier. I also started jogging and it made me feel stronger both physically and mentally. The best was jogging on rainy days. It made me feel like a winner 😂 When nobody was out there and it's only me jogging through the rain!🏃
Ezgi Yeğinaltay
@jack_jung I definitely need to try jogging on rainy days. I think it would make me feel refreshed 🦋
Arpan
Recovering from burnout starts with self-care: taking time off, setting boundaries, and prioritizing mental health. It's important to also seek support from loved ones or professionals, and gradually easing back into work with a balanced approach.
Rob Slate
Recovering from it is definitely hard & everyone is different. Aside from self care & getting active, I've realized finding a new skill or researching/learning about random topics on a deeper level helps. For me, burnout happens when my work gets repetitve and non-challenging. To keep myself from getting burnt out nowadays, I've learned to say 'no' to a lot more work & I make time to work on the projects I thoroughly enjoy building. 2018-2021 hit me hard. 2022 I actually took the time to deal with it & set up systems to lessen the chances of burning out, now I feel better than ever. Sometimes taking a large step back is what you need to move forward
Rishabh R
- Slow down for a month - Do bare minimum to remain consistent - Do what I love - Watch movies, go out with friends
Kwaku Amprako
Burnout can be overwhelming and recovering from it can be challenging, but there are things you can do to help yourself. Taking a break from work and other stressors can help you recharge, and engaging in activities that make you happy can boost your mood and energy. Talking to someone you trust or seeking support from a mental health professional can help you process your feelings and experiences. Establishing boundaries with work and other obligations, getting enough sleep, eating well, and practicing mindfulness can also support your recovery. Remember that it's okay to take things slow and prioritize your well-being.
Gordana Laskovic
Well, I don’t have burn outs often but when I do, I have to go out alone - usually on a quiet and peaceful place to chill out. 😄
Andrew Noah
Take a break and disconnect from work completely.
Jamie Kim
I think I've taken enough breaks, and I think it's good to take a break because it's a testament to how hard you've worked. And I worked out during that time. I personally find that sitting still makes me feel worse. I felt a lot better after working out.
Anna Jack
Re-evaluate your priorities and adjust your workload accordingly.
Henry
Practice self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, or hobbies.
Jonathan Prime
Set boundaries and learn to say no to additional commitments.
Robert K Simpson
Delegate tasks to others if possible.
Binod T
Take a vacation or plan a getaway to recharge.
Aleksej Vukomanovic
For me, spending few days going to spa does the job. Last time I spent 1h a day doing jakuzi and sauna, for 5 days, and on last day spent 3 hours in jakuzi. I felt renewed