How do you organize your links?

Carsten Gräf
21 replies
One thing I'm still struggling with (although I created my own browser extension to deal with it) is: how to manage the tons of links and URLs I come across every day at work and in my private life? How to find websites again (much) later? How to organize everything, if there are so many ways to do it? The question is: how do You do it? Do you have an approach that really works for you? Are bookmarks really enough? Do you use browser extensions? Which ones would you recommend - and why? Or is this not a problem for you at all? Love to hear your feedback!

Replies

Nigel Engel
keep it simple, folders in bookmark bar
Carsten Gräf
@mrnigelengel How many levels of folders do you have if I may ask? I had around three or four for some main folders and around a thousand links altogether... that approach did not really scale for me, I often struggled to find the links when I needed them.
Nigel Engel
@evandor I go with the minimal approach to links. I have 3 folders which are categorised. My go to tech stack in one folder, (gmail, ga, framer, hotjar ect) anther folder for misc (random links that i want to revist I try to group into a category and know which folder to look for what link. If you keep links in categories it works out fine for myself Having a folder in my brower allows me to go to a link right away. Also, don't over bookmark. Its only for links that you actually use or will go back to
Nevena Sofranic
Nope. I shoot links to myself on Slack and hope to come back to them later haha
Carsten Gräf
@nevena_sofranic Nice idea :) - I did this with emails (back to myself), and sometimes it even worked
Kia Kamgar
I send them to my task manager (Things) inbox. Then go through them like everything else in there. I have several ‘projects’ and file them in the right places for later reference etc. Simple.
Carsten Gräf
@kiakamgar Interesting approach... I'm gonna check out Things, thanks for the hint (but I might use it mainly for task management I guess). From a first glimpse, Things is an app and not running in the browser, right?
Kia Kamgar
@evandor yep, Apple only, no browser support. If you need multi platform, check out Todoist. Not as refined, but works really well too.
Ilayda Ozcan
There is a Chrome extension called "mymind". You can save not only URLs but also text or an image easily. And the AI categorizes it for you. I suggest giving it a try :)
Carsten Gräf
@ilaydaozcan I'll definitely give it a try :) I was experimenting with AI on my own extension as well, but as it is running in the users' browsers only (no server connection whatsoever), it became too big including the AI part, so I removed it again.
Shajedul Karim
hey, i feel you on the link overload. i've seen people go all sorts of ways, from the classic nested bookmark folders to full-on second brains in notion or roam. i think the trick is less about the tool and more about the habit. set a time to cull and organize your links weekly. ask if each link still holds value. anyone else got systems they swear by? tools are cool but it’s the process that’ll save you.
Carsten Gräf
@shajedulkarim_ You are absolutely right. A tool helping you with your process (and being able to adapt to different processes and/or habits) might still be handy though.
Lakshya Singh
Although its usually never a problem for me, if there is any such important link, I just send it to the most relevant person in my contact. It helps me in 3 ways - build relationships with people, get more insight about that article/website as they will be discussing it, and find out the link later as I will mostly use either WhatsApp or Google Chat to send it to some contacts or my team and there will be keywords because of the discussion I had with that person.
Carsten Gräf
@lakshya_singh If that works for you that's great :) - I might be running out of contacts if I did it that way though...
AmazingSylvia
I used notion to mark links I need
AmazingSylvia
@evandor Yesss I normally will create a page to manage all links I used for work lol. Actually I used to use ‘place’ feature in browser, however that will make your browser so slow.
Romio
one click - raindrop.io
Mohamed Ismail
Notion is the go to solution when it comes to storing important links or information
Barry Zheng
I also encountered the same problem, so I tried to implement the idea of saving web pages and managing web pages through ChatGPT programming. Today I just launched a new version of this product: GPTBLOX - ChatGPT/Bard/Claude Save Data The product still has a lot of room for improvement, and I look forward to your suggestions.