How do you note interesting points during user interviews?

Rucha Joshi
9 replies
I sometimes talk to 8-10 people during the week and it is so easy to forget what they said if I don't record it in some manner. While talking to our users most of us jot down important things they mentioned. I am curious to know what ways do you do that. Whether it is during the call or after or you use some special tools.

Replies

Lior Galante Cohen (Vaza)
If possible, always record the meetings and then go over it / ask a teammate to go over and summarize it.
Michelle Parmar
Though I always have a recording, I take ancillary notes during the interview—like the interviewees emotions or other context that might not be apparent from the recording when I listen to it at a later point!
Hari Velaayutham
Taking notes helped but I had to ask questions and concentrate on answers to reply back. So Always had an Extra PM/Designer to take notes with me to avoid hearing the recording again. In these remote meetings, Always have +1 helps, who knows the context as we are.
Rucha Joshi
@hari_velayutham Yes it does get difficult to focus on the conversation and take. notes. Helps to have a +1, though not always easy to align calendars.
Vivek Ganesan
Shameless plug here ;) I use Notesally (the SaaS product that my team built)
Kolton
If zoom/virtual: we always record it, write a brief note in a shared document, and then re-visit if needed If in-person: have a team member that isn't the lead interviewer handling the majority of the notes, and regroup after it ends with any additional thoughts on each specific answer
Usually I'll take notes - but ideally I'd like to have someone else take notes so that I can concentrate on the questions.