How do you handle the situation when the domain you want is already taken?

Replies

Outlivo
Think of becoming Elon Musk - With no redemial assistance, try to find an alternative to the domain name which is relatable to the service/product.
Kia Kamgar
If it's available to buy, think about if it's worth the investment. Think up another domain/brand.
Konrad S.
The obvious options: 1. Try another top-level-domain 2. Try small variations 3. Try synonyms or other suitable words 4. Try to purchase from the current owner What else could one do?
Been in that situation countless times - with websites and social media usernames. Steps to follow: 1. Wave your fist in the air or flip your table (either one works fine) ๐Ÿ˜‚ Then, either: A. If it's that important to have that exact domain name, offer to buy the domain from the current owner B. Choose a similar domain but with little alterations (different TLD, adding a "the" in the beginning, adding a "-", or using your brand motto/tagline) What I've learnt from experience: even before you come up with a name for your business/brand/product name, to already do a quick search if those domain names are available.
Grizzlius Maximus
@rockyperezz ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Everyone follows Step 1 for sure ahaha
Business Marketing with Nika
@rockyperezz Can you recommend some good services for registration a domain? :-) I believe you have good experiences with some of them :-)
@busmark_w_nika Sure, for just buying domains, https://www.namecheap.com/ is usually the cheapest option - your domains will also come with free domain privacy protection. But you will then need to connect this domain to hosting. If you want hosting too, https://zyro.com/ is a cheap yet reliable option compared to giants HostGator or GoDaddy. I used Zyro for my latest website projects and it hasn't failed me - customer support was great as well when I faced issues. Website editing feels like Wix. Also, it offers 1 year free domain when you register with them.
@rockyperezz Thank you. Will definitely check it out! Yesterday I read article about new type of domain (with the ending ".ing"). It is quite pricey now (approximately $30.000!. But prices will decrease.
Mohamed Soufan
I try to find the same domain with another TLD.
Shajedul Karim
ah the age-old domain dilemma. ๐Ÿ˜… first, check if it's actively used or just parked. if parked, might be open to negotiation. but brace for a markup. also, consider variations or creative tweaks to the name. maybe even explore new tld's like .app, .tech, or .io. and remember, it's about the value you bring, not just the domain. but still, a memorable domain helps. another route: reach out to the owner, sometimes they're willing to sell. whatever path you choose, ensure it aligns with your brand's essence. and always double-check for unintended interpretations of the name.
@shajedulkarim_ what is the common price for the domain (approximately range)?