• Subscribe
  • How do you handle policies (TOS, Privacy) and compliance like GDPR and ADA?

Anthony Latona
    6 replies
    I'm coming up on a launch pretty soon and I can't shake the feeling that I need to be compliant with ADA and GDPR and have everything spelled out in the required policies. However, I see very few launches with these in place. How do you handle compliance and is it entirely necessary for an initial launch?

Replies

Wyatt Feaster
    I wouldn’t worry about any of this until you actually start to see success. Non of this matters if you don’t get users.
    Anthony Latona
    @wyatt_feaster Fair point... I get the risk is low, but the risk is still there. I ended up using Termly to make the policies and GDPR compliance setup. Pretty easy and reasonably priced.
    Roland Marlow
    I need to actually refresh and make sure everything is posted. I actually had one of my ecom stores get an ADA lawsuit (one of those pred lawsuits where they file hundreds on every little store), ended up costing me almost $10k to settle out. The thing is, you need to be 80% covered, you don't need to be perfect. Unless you do something blatant against these type of polices, people (lawsuits) will target low hanging fruit, don't be the low hanging fruit.
    Anthony Latona
    @rmarlow Coming from the ecommerce world, everyone was getting in trouble with ADA compliance for the past few years. Nearly every client got served some kind of lawsuit... Luckily, we were able to get them compliant enough to avoid having to pay, but it was wild for a time. I figured it was better to overshoot than get caught lacking in some material way.
    Roland Marlow
    @anthony_latona Such a PITA that shit is. It's so unclear what is needed and how courts would even rule, decisions going both ways but they are BS lawsuits to begin with. But yea, I think just being at the point of compliant enough is enough. I don't think anyone even knows what the endzone would look like so it's just a waste trying to get there.
    Anthony Latona
    @rmarlow @shaanvp was talking about ADA compliance and getting sued recently on MFM. The firm submits about 10K lawsuits per year with the same plaintiffs every time. Totally against the spirit of the law, imo. It wastes so much time and money too. Great episode of the pod too... worth a listen. https://youtu.be/3pFLBN7euWo?si=...