How do you focus while working?

Elif Duran
41 replies
Which type of music do you listen to? Do you use a Pomodoro timer? Do you need a tidy study room? Second monitor? Or any tips/advice?

Replies

I've always had trouble focusing for a long time, I get easily distracted lol. So music or anything else usually distracts me instead of helping me to focus for a long time. So, total silence helps me a lot in this case. I never have too many tabs opened.
Ahmet Can Aslan
I think the way to maximize my focus while working is to listen to Lofi with the sound of rain. It both keeps me calm and concentrates my attention.
Business Marketing with Nika
I need to have a "schedule for tasks" – so define them in advance and know that something needs to be done on that day (Reminders on Mac help me). Environment: I like music that supports my mood when creative work is related to creating graphics. Even when the music is sad. When it comes to learning a new skill in the work, video editing or copywriting – I need maximum quiet. Prefer not to be disturbed by notifications and ideally to block certain websites to not be disturbed by them.
Elif Duran
@busmark_w_nika which tools do you use for scheduling, or are you a pen-paper person :) It sounds like you've got a great system in mind for staying on top of your tasks.
@elifduran yeah, but sometimes I am horrible at sticking to my schedule :D Regarding tasks: I really use only Reminders (an app on my Mac) + Trello tickers option. :)
Elif Duran
@busmark_w_nika we are all human after all :D Clean setup! I was using Trello some years ago, my movies, books, goals, everything was there but could not stick to it. Cool to see it worked for you!
Sree
@busmark_w_nika I do the same. I tend to be scatterbrained, a quality I like because I naturally think outside the box but not the best thing when you need to sit and focus. I write down my “Agenda for Today” onto a whiteboard that rests on top of my monitor. This works for me for someone who’s bad at focusing.
@sreenington how do you fight procrastination? (Because I know that sometimes even when you are trying organize your day, we can slip) :D
Mashfique Anwar
I listen to synthwave instrumental music, with The Midnight being my go-to for the past couple of years. Maintaining good ergonomics and posture is key to staying focused, productive, and healthy.
Sezin Yurtlu
To minimize distractions, I always listen to ambient music. Also pomodoro technique helps me maintain concentration by working in 25 minute intervals with short breaks in between. A tidy workspace is necessary to reduce visual clutter, and using my iPad as a second monitor greatly enhances my productivity by allowing me to multitask more efficiently. ☺️
Igor Lysenko
I take short tea breaks where I sit in my thoughts.
My3 Murthy
time blocking & instrumental music is my jam!
Maria Anosova 🔥
I use Pomodoro timer
Elias Ari
Listening to Lo-Fi radio has been the thing for me since college times. It really helps me focus on what I'm doing and keeps me calm.
Ashley from Shadow
Our team built shadow (an ai assistant) so that we can always stay one step ahead! It helps to have administrative tasks and repetitive tasks out of the way
Pratheek Adi
I avoid touching my phone during those times to minimize distractions. As for music, I love instrumental tracks or ambient sounds – they help me get into the zone without lyrics pulling my attention away.
Remington
A little bit of Sadè
Islam Akramov
It's all about Flow. Read a book Atomic Habits, it's really helpful.
Was in the book any interesting take? @islam_akramov
Gurkaran Singh
When I need to focus, I play some lo-fi beats - it's like a productivity potion! No Pomodoro for me, just the good ol' flow state. And hey, a tidy workspace? Let's just say my desk may or may not have its own gravitational pull!
Gregory Karfo
For me i have to be totally alone and at home to make sure i will di everything i need and not get distracted and actually music also helps me to stay connected with the task im doing!
Aditi Ladia
Music really helps me a lot. Different people react differently to the same kind of music. For me, any soft instrumental music works. I also listen to alpha-brainwaves for extra focus!
Rowe Morehouse
Dubstep. Yes to Pomodoro timer Only need laptop, decent internet, coffee. Advice/Tips: Try more dubstep, more coffee, avoid all household chores.
Kirill Oleinichenko
Sand watch as a timer :)
KC Onrade
Time blocking. A tidy place. Clean laptop (keyboard and screen) and my other monitor’s screen. A cup of iced coffee. And a phone away from me (check my phone within breaks)
Natalie Ermishina
I need silence, then I concentrate much better and complete the tasks faster :)