How Do You Filter Freelancers to Find the Right Fit?

Uri Michaeli
3 replies
Hey Product Hunt Community! I'm curious to hear how you all approach filtering through freelancers to find the right fit for your projects. With so many candidates available on platforms like Upwork and Fiverr, I'm sure it can be overwhelming to decide who makes the cut. What are your go-to strategies for narrowing down candidates? Do you focus on certain criteria like ratings, portfolios, or interviews? Have you encountered any challenges with the current process, like verifying skills or aligning expectations? I'm interested in understanding how people tackle this, especially if you've experienced difficulties along the way. I'd love to hear your stories and tips! Looking forward to the discussion.

Replies

Ruben Boonzaaijer
have them make a demo ps. ringly.io is currently still live, your support would mean a lot to us!
Yurii Holovanov
If you're not relying on outstuffing service that searches candidates for you, the best you can do is to assign the initial search with some previously established criteria's to your 'generalist' or HR person. Once the initial pool of candidates is formed, the first call to establish connection is on HR person. With hand-off of trial task. If it takes more than a few hours to complete, consider paying the basic per/h rate to candidates that work on it. The second call should be an introduction to an experienced team member who can evaluate the knowledge and results of the test task. The third one should be final. You either move on with candidate or reject him. For companies where is a lot of micromanagement present or they are on a tight budget, this call is often the CEO's introduction or that of some kind of manager who validates the candidate on their personal criteria.
Uri Michaeli
Thanks for sharing your insights, @yurii_holovanov and @ruben_boonz ! In the past week, I struggled with filtering freelancers for a specific job on Upwork, where I received many applications and couldn't speak to everyone. This challenge led me to create CustomMatch. For now, I've focused on developing the final result—a candidate profile page that shows all the verified details I want to see as the one who hires. I’m curious to see if others feel there's a need for a tool like this. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts—I’d really appreciate your feedback: CustomMatch: https://www.custommatch.online/.