How do you define your brand's tone of voice?

Ezgi Yeğinaltay
22 replies
What steps do you take?

Replies

Alexis Collado
I'd say hold a workshop with your stakeholders and figure it out together. The brand voice typically stems from more important things like the brand strategy/character/story. The principles of the tone of voice stem from there.
Renat Abyasov
Question for marketing research. When we chose TOV, we were based on our audience, its interests, and the environment. Also, the context of consumption of our product is an integral part. With the same person, in different situations, you can talk both officially and in a friendly way.
Oscar Mairey
I'd take a day with founders and notice how they walk, talk and interfere with the world. I will then base the tone of my brand upon it :-)
Lois Rodriguez
Defining your brand's tone of voice is a pretty cool exercise. Here's how I'd approach it: Understand your audience: Who are they? What's their lingo? What resonates with them? Brand personality: If your brand was a person, who would it be? Fun? Serious? Inspiring? Values and mission: What does your brand stand for? This often guides your tone. Consistency: Once you've defined it, be consistent across all channels. Test and iterate: Get feedback and refine over time.
Davide Camera
Defining our brand's tone of voice involves understanding our mission, our audience, and our industry. We see our brand as a leader and a trusted advisor. Hence, our tone is authoritative, yet supportive. We aim to convey confidence and credibility in every interaction, while also being approachable and understanding to the needs and challenges of our clients
Jan Demiralp
The answer is: it depends. What kind of product are you building? Who will be the users? What demographic do they fall into? At the end of the day it comes down to how people feel when they connect with your product. What feeling in your users do you want your tone of voice to evoke? Hope this helps!
Jan Demiralp
@ezgiyeginaltay You're most welcome! Here's a resource I found very helpful when figuring out my brand voice: https://monzo.com/tone-of-voice/ Maybe it will help you too
Zoe Stetsenko
oh that's a very interesting question, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the thread!
Daniel Shinall
I'm no expert on this, but I think one thing a brand can do to build a foundation for their tone of voice can be to provide excellent customer service, and to be transparent about its products/services. If you're doing that, the rest of your brand's tone of voice might just fall into place, over time, as an extension of you and your own tone/character.
First is to define your target persona, then define what tone that persona prefers to listen to.
Lucas almeida
It's very connected to the audience you want to reach and the persona you came up on your research. To communicate with certain audiences you must "speak their language", that's how they will feel connected to your brand.
Subin Babu
It's a good question. As the founder of ElkQR, I define our brand's tone of voice as friendly, approachable, and helpful. I believe in communicating with our users conversationally and engagingly, ensuring clarity, conciseness, and ease of understanding. It's important to me that our brand is relatable and trustworthy, while also being informative and professional. I strive to establish a positive and friendly relationship with our users, providing them with the best QR code experience possible.
1) I would try to have conversations with relevant people - our team and target customers. This helps me get some direct pointers. 2) I would also observe our team and target customers. This would help me get some insights that the first way won't give me. Both combined, I'll have a raw form of brand tone we should start with - which can be fine-tuned as we progress.
Mei
How do you want your brand to speak to your customers? Always keep it simple and straightforward.
Atharva Bondre
A brand's tone of voice can be formal, casual, professional, playful, authoritative, empathetic, or any other characteristic that aligns with the brand's identity. It's important to establish consistency in the tone of voice across all brand communications, including written content, marketing materials, social media posts, and customer interactions. The tone of voice should resonate with the target audience and help to establish a strong brand identity and connection with customers.