How do you deal with burnout ?

Anil Matcha
28 replies

Replies

Akram Sarkis
You need to find first the reason of the burn out, then find solution to get rid of this reason and take a break, some time for you to breath and be able come back stronger
Yannell Selman
@akram_sarkis Research shows that the causes of burnout are often related to the workplace. It's not within the control of individual contributors to solve things like workload, control, rewards/compensation, etc. Within the burnout experience, the main thing we as individuals can control is work recovery, but that's not enough.
Kavita
I changed my environment and took a complete break for a few weeks where I didn't do anything work related. Instead I tried to do things which I know I usually find energising like reading, or eating good food and spending time outdoors.
Yannell Selman
@kkavita Yes! Getting emotional, cognitive and physical distance from work is the #1 way to maximize your work recovery. Our app helps teams do that, and we're launching on Thursday 6/22! Give us a follow if this is an area of interest for you. https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Lord Brian Dean-Madanamootoo
Just my personal experience, as founders you will ALWAYS be demotivated(or get Burnouts). Forget the idea that it won't apply to you. The best thing i've done to overcome that, is to break your work routine. Do 3 weeks of hard work (including Saturdays and 1/2day Sundays) and then take 1 Full week off. (Your body will need minimum 3 days to get back on track, 1 weekend is not enough)
Yannell Selman
@lord_svp Wow interesting! Totally agree that sprinting works and then taking time off after is needed. It's also super individual - what works for one person may not work for another. I'm curious: it feels MORE disruptive to stop working for one full week vs. taking a weekend off. How does taking one week/month off impact your team and customers vs. taking let's say a 3 day weekend?
@yannell_selman Personally, it's actually easier when you have a team. You can coordinate rotations with your team so that there's always someone working on the project. When its less than 20-25% of the team a week taking off, you don't really feel it as everyone comes back full of energy.
@yannell_selman Thanks, We are launching next week and your support and feedback would mean a lot to us. (https://www.producthunt.com/prod...)
Igor Lysenko
I try to read books and play sports when I can work. In this form, I have the energy to act every day.
Yannell Selman
@ixord Yes! The research shows that disconnecting periodically by doing something active can help you get distance from work that helps you get cognitive resource recovery. Books and sports are great examples!
Buse Kara
It can be good to listen to podcasts and get away mentally.
Helen Butler
Hit pause. Step away from the desk.
Anthony Coleman
A change of scenery and mindless Netflix bingeing is just what the doc ordered.
Yannell Selman
@a_coleman_99 Change of scenery: yes. Netflix binge: No. While Netflix binges can be physically relaxing, if you're in mid/late stage burnout, it will be hard to turn your brain off while watching TV. You also miss some more effective stress reducing strategies such as getting a change in your sensory experience (fresh air, cooking, going to the beach, etc.)
Murat Hacıoğlu
I feel so bad to be honest. Then try to focus on another task and walking in the street makes me feel fresh.
Yannell Selman
@murat_hacioglu Yes! Walking outside gives you physical distance from work and helps you disconnect. This lowers stress levels back to baseline and improves cognitive resource recovery.
Murat Hacıoğlu
@yannell_selman nearby that you can think differently while walking. Also, you can see different views of your stressfull job which makes you feel more brave.
Emily Harris
It's important to take a break and engage in self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, and spending time with loved ones. Seeking support from a therapist or counselor can also be helpful. Tarot reading https://tarotoo.com/ is also a helpful tool for me for gaining insight and guidance on how to move forward.
Yannell Selman
@emily_harris Agree that therapists and counselors can help with late stage burnout. For early/mid stage, it's more about working norms and your team's culture. That's a harder problem to solve that individuals who are experiencing burnout can't control. We're launching something on Thursday that will automate some workplace burnout improvements - if this is an area of interest for you, would appreciate a follow!
Gloria Russell
Burnout's no joke. I unplug, literally. Turn off notifications, step away from screens. Do something I enjoy, like reading or biking. Mindfulness and meditation help too.
Yannell Selman
@glowrussell Yes! Disconnecting from devices is SO important in getting the emotional, physical, and mental distance needed to lower stress levels back to baseline. Doing something enjoyable helps you not focus on work. :) We call this "High Quality Time-Off"; very cool how you've intuited a lot of those practices on your own!
George Koulouris
Turn off everything and take a break, do something you like or just relax. Tip for designers: Use different programs between work related tasks and your personal projects that you're doing in your free time!
Daniel Zaitzow
@george_koulouris do you find that this helps with your productivity? Do you think task switching ever has a negative impact?
Canna AI Hemp
I don't deal well at all, I usually start calling in, or just don't show up to scheduled shifts, or just plain do things to make them fire me. Then I kick myself cause now I got to look for another crappy job at crappy pay with crappy bosses, but not no more, I get up when I want if I want do what I want when I want it's usually my art or working in my online stores or promoting my work on my social media It's nice to be the boss I love my boss she's wonderful... 😂
Kunal Mehta
it's important to prioritize self-care and establish healthy boundaries. Take regular breaks, engage in activities you enjoy, and practice stress-reducing techniques like exercise, meditation, or hobbies. Delegate tasks when possible and communicate your needs to others. Set realistic goals and manage your time effectively. Seek support from friends, family, or professionals if needed. Remember to disconnect from work and create a work-life balance. Lastly, listen to your body and mind, and be kind to yourself by practicing self-compassion.