How did you get into "making"?

Edmond Bitay
6 replies
I was inspired by nomads' indie hacking in Southeast Asia and wanted to travel full-time. Here's how it went: - After undergrad, take a customer success role in a tech start-up (1.5 years) - Quit, and learn to code (9 months) - First frontend engineer job (2 years) - burnout/depression - figure out health (1 year) - Second frontend engineer job (remote, 6 months) - first contract gig (can save up 5x pay, remote, travel around the world) - 2 year - Meet someone from the original Bali gang, come up with an idea, and ship a product for nomads!

Replies

Alex Shapoval
Started making small games and programs in middle school, stopped for years, then rediscovered passion for building stuff again.
Gaurav
I used to develop Minecraft mods in java when I was 12. Quickly fell in love with computers
Edmond Bitay
@zignis wow, I just checked and minecraft is 14 years old!! that's crazy, in my head it's still logged as a new thing.
Gaurav
@edmondbitay time flies by quickly. i still remember the days i used to play survival with my sibling, feels like yesterday.
Gurkaran Singh
Wow, talk about a journey! From customer success to coding, navigating burnout, and finally shipping a product - your story is truly inspiring for anyone looking to venture into the world of "making." Kudos to your resilience and commitment to craft your path in the tech world!