How did you come up with your startup name?

Yemi Oyepeju
10 replies
Was it a play on words and what makes it unique?

Replies

James Kim
Our product is - 'Pollop' We started with an idea of developing a product where user generated content - videos and images are curated by rankings. Basically the feed and #hashtag is displayed with rankings - determined by likes or dislikes. Since our product is a ranking app, we thought about what words could work with the concept of voting and decided that 'Poll' works well and generated words that determine the 'act' of polling, so - Pollop. It also sounds like poll-'up' - basically 👍 a 'like'. Say it backwards and it is also PolloP. What do you think?
Jamie Larson
Well, coming up with the name for our startup was actually a fun and creative process. We wanted a name that would reflect our company's core values and mission. After brainstorming with the team and considering various options, we eventually settled on 'GreenTech Innovations.' The name 'GreenTech' emphasizes our commitment to sustainability and environmentally friendly solutions, which are at the heart of our business. 'Innovations' signifies our drive to constantly create and develop cutting-edge technology in this field.
Yemi Oyepeju
@jamie_larson That's a catchy and timeless name. Brand brainstorming can be fun and creative if the parties are mature and collaborative about it.
Yemi Oyepeju
@jamie_larson Wizlink was begotten for our mobile landing page builder from "Wizard" and "Link" - basically getting things done in a quicker fashion than the norm that it looks magical. It's for this reason we've kept the user dashboard so simple to let users build a landing page quite quickly without getting bogged down with coding and too many styling options. Fortunately for us, AI and ChatGPT became a thing few months after our first launch so we ceased on this new opportunity to make Wizlink even more magical with new AI capabilities that enhance the user experience. We are on track to launch Wizlink AI soon.
Elena Tsemirava
It's always a problem for me to come up with a cool name.
Yemi Oyepeju
@elenat It shouldn't be anymore with cool AI tools out there like Namelix that generate good results.
Brian Hurst
'More Seconds' actually began as a silly idea for a catering business a friend and I had been brainstorming back in 2016. Our concept was simple: when people love your food, they ask for seconds, right? Yes, I already know that it’s a bad idea, and we never took it past the drawing board. But the name stuck with me throughout my journey as a freelance developer. As I dove deeper into the world of freelance web development, I noticed that my clients were often very happy to distance themselves from the technical side. They just wanted to focus on what they did best – their businesses. This realization became the driving force behind my work: the more engaged I was, the more time (or 'seconds') my clients had to invest in what truly mattered to them. And that’s what kept them extremely sticky. This philosophy has not only shaped our company culture but has also defined our commitment to going the extra mile for our clients. At More Seconds, we push hard to make sure that every experience with our team is as straightforward and hassle-free as possible. We're the embodiment of clicking the red "easy" button. I’ve always been dedicated ( or obsessed ) with simplifying the development process, which is what led us to building mDash, a user-friendly platform designed to streamline web development project management. We'll actually be launching mDash to open beta here on Product Hunt soon. For anyone who is interested in supporting us, please check out our Coming Soon page!
Yemi Oyepeju
@brianhurst Interesting story, and good luck on your lunch. I'm already on the notify-me list. This is truer than true "I noticed that my clients were often very happy to distance themselves from the technical side". As a CEO and product manager altogether, although I have a bit of technical background, there's never enough time for all the tasks I have to juggle so I appreciate any opportunity to escape any technical work and have it handled by my dev team, which they are quite capable. It's this reason that AWS portal makes my head spin and I just get lazy to manage any part of it, even billing optimisation that could save me few extra bucks - I leave it for later. UX being my background has taught me a lot about value in simplicity. Thus, I shy away from complex or hybrid dev platforms. I trust mDash will have a successful launch, fingers crossed I'll be here to support it.