How did you come up with the idea for your product?

Namrata Arya
21 replies
I'll go first: We saw an insanely high number of people looking for 'business name generator' and 'brand name ideas' on search. We found this data on the Google Keyword Planner. However, there were hardly any good business name generators that suggested names that were meaningful and actually usable. We started digging in deeper and discovered that the name selection process doesn't end at finding a good name - the name needs to have a corresponding domain available, needs to not have an existing trademark in the same category and it needs to have social usernames available. The entire process seemed SO complicated and cumbersome for the already time strapped makers. And this is how we ended up creating Namify AI, a business name generator that uses AI to suggest names that are highly tailored to your specific product. We also built in the functionality to show domain, trademark and username availability for each name. So something that would otherwise take hours if not days, should now take seconds. Would love to hear the story behind how you ended up with the idea to build your product!

Replies

Denis Angilella
Thanks for sharing your context @namrata_arya ! Here is the story behind Famxplor: After the pandemic, we decided to travel and spend time with our kids Like most parents we are busy😅 so I started collecting blog posts of families who travel with their children instead of using generic sites It saved us a lot of time for finding activities with our kids and led to some of our best family experiences
Wilfred Kasekende
As an avid gamer I was bored with modern UI/UX experiences and found them slow and underwhelming. I decided to invent my own UI/UX which is limitless and can scale to fit on any platform desktop, mobile, tablet and smartwatch. 3 years later, we're launching the Android app on PH on the 29th 🤣
Vaibhav
For Selftalk.ing, the idea stemmed from the personal habit of talking and motivating myself about my goals. It keeps me accountable with personalized guidance.
Mark Lemuel M
@realdesigntack I got the same venture too! upskill! followed and upvoted all your creations!
Vítor Soares
I and Joao Pereira developed AskCory.ai to empower startups to leverage the Bullseye Framework, a powerful customer acquisition tool we've been using internally at Build Up Labs since 2021. AskCory.ai guides you through a series of questions to understand your business goals and target audience. Based on your answers, it delivers validated marketing tactics designed to help you achieve success. Through user discovery interviews using the Jobs To Be Done approach, we realized AskCory.ai could fulfill the needs of a wider audience, including freelancers and marketing agencies managing multiple client accounts.
JD Worcester
We noticed the simple problem that there's no way to measure videos on websites...
Kabir
I prefer to solve problems I find worth solving for myself first and see if there are any use cases for others. This led to: ShowNotes.app - I needed a way to share notes on anything with AI helpers doing the chores like SEO, classification, security, tagging, etc. FindMyTime.app - soon to be open-sourced time tracking of app/browser on MacOS IntevoMail - an intelligent mailing list with an ai moderator to help members have personalized filtering to focused experience without human moderator created drama or politics
Namrata Arya
@shownotes these are all amazing ideas! I think a lot of startups have similar origins - a problem they personally faced that needed solving
Kabir
@namrata_arya I come from Linus Torvalds's School of Product Design. Build it for yourself, and if others find it helpful, great. He built two of the most widely used software programs in the world: Linux and Git. Of course, Linus did not want direct monetary gains from them, so his approach works best for open-source projects or projects that can wait for financial returns using a freemium model, which I like the best.
Nikita
It took us weeks to come up with a name for something that can potentially change the world, the hard part really is to come up with a name. I would have been interested to try out Namify at that time. Good job!
Namrata Arya
@kitanirjv that’s so encouraging to hear! Thank you for the kind words :) we are hoping we are able to help other makers in a similar fashion 🙌
Gurkaran Singh
It all started when we realized there were more people searching for good business names than there are dog videos on the internet! Well, almost. But seriously, the struggle of finding a perfect name that isn't already taken is as challenging as debugging code at 3 am!