How and where would you validate your app/startup idea?

Tonći Žilić
4 replies
I usually ask friends and colleagues, but mostly I get gut feeling advice rather than concrete. It worked more or less for now but what would be the best way to do it. Current example is an app I'd like to kick off. I've built the pitch deck and POC but now I need a targeted niche to get some traction, I've tried with Reddit but no luck. How do you think I could gather few emails and build my list. App is for digital journaling.

Replies

Justin Macorin
It depends what market your selling to... But customer interviews and selling before you build are two things that can help validate an idea. Also, during customer interview, asking questions the right way is really important. A good book about this is The Mom Test. You want to make sure you receive non-bias feedback. That can be challenging.
Alex
I visited my old school and asked at one class if the concept was cool and same with co-workers and family, is cheap fast and gratis. My project is a social network so young age is a good target for ask a review for me
Ben Katz
Hi Tonci! I've actually written two blog posts on this exact topic that you might find valuable (newsletter linked in my bio). One on general validation strategies and one on what questions to ask during user interviews to help you validate your product / idea. Generally, at a high level I recommend trying to capture emails to help validate that there is demand for a solution: 1. building your landing page with an email capture 2.engaging with people on social 3. going to relevant meetups 4. doing the coffee shop meetups / discussions 5. getting creative with other ways to drive traffic to your page
Daniel Priego
Hey @tonci4 I would suggest going on LinkedIn and reaching out directly to people who you think may benefit from your idea or that you consider may have valuable feedback for what you are trying to build. Not sure I would start with a pitch deck, but the POC sounds like a great start.