Hope is not a strategy.

Slim Geransar
17 replies
Do everything you can to make strategic decisions based of facts and not hope. If you’re about to embark on a journey to solve a problem, make sure enough people are facing the same problem. Ask questions, take the time to really understand the problem. Interview people who may be facing the problem you’re trying to solve. Don’t tell them about your solution. Focus on them and the problem. Stop talking and listen to them. If you have a product and are up and running, make decisions based off data. Make sure you track everything you can. The more insight you have, the more informed your decision will be.

Replies

James Sukosd
Hope is definitely a double edged sword. Hope can keep you motivated but it can also make you lazy. "I hope my app will work out" okay but what steps are you taking? Are you just waiting for an influential person to find it or are you reaching out?
@james_sukosd definitely agree on the laziness. I guess without hope you may not want to take action. So you’re right, it can be a motivator.
Yokiiiii
Thank you for this insight! It's crucial to base strategic decisions on facts rather than hope. Understanding the problem thoroughly and gathering insights from those who are facing it is essential. Listening to their experiences and perspectives can provide valuable information for finding effective solutions. When it comes to making decisions for a product, tracking and analyzing data is key to making informed choices.
Carol Moh
This is such a key point and so glad you highlighted it "Focus on them and the problem. Stop talking and listen to them." We get so caught up in pushing our idea that we forget to listen!
ISTIAK AHMAD
Absolutely spot on! Hope might be a great motivator, but it's not a reliable compass for strategic decisions. Dive deep into the sea of facts, understand the currents of real problems, and let data be your guiding star.
ISTIAK AHMAD
@slimmy82 Yes. What i believe is, everything has to be a choice rather being a slave of circumstances.
Shivangi Awasthi
Hope is an everyday friend. Love this, Slim.
Stefan Wirth
I hope it is ✌️
Nicolò Marchesi
TLDR: read "the mom test" and apply everything there :)
Ashley
but i think not everyone is willing to share their experience 😭