Have you tried developing a habit in 21 days?

Rashe
10 replies

Replies

Igor Lysenko
I don’t know why you are talking about 21, but it takes months to develop a habit and that is not an option that will work. Depending on what habit, if it is difficult, then it should be very necessary, if not, then I think 2-4 months.
Rashe
@ixord have you tried a simple habit? Mine was making my bed, as it takes only 2-5 minutes, and after doing it for 21 days, I think in one way or another, it altered my brain somehow.
Rashe
@madeleine_nichols I've encountered a lot of statements, whether from apps or opinions, that one can start developing a habit in 21 days, it always mentioned "21", and I got curious.
Madeleine Nichols
@rashephgns oh interesting, I've come across much longer time frames for habit development, but a 21 day streak probably helps with continuing a new habit. I'd imagine if you get past 3 weeks of regularly doing something there'd be some correlation with an increased likelihood of continuing with it
Rashe
@madeleine_nichols I agree. Like a habit that will take 2 minutes. 21 days should help develop that habit.
Dianne Adlawan
Not exactly 21 days, I would say it took me at least 1-2 months to develop a habit of taking 30-minute to 1-hour walks every day. Atomic Habits book by James Clear was a huge help for me to develop this healthy habit!
Rashe
@dianne_adlawan I'll read the book too! Thanks!
Mei
yes, I've tried regaining momentum for working out, yoga and writing in 21 days. I've learned that it's okay to take a break or skip a day if you keep coming back to it.
Rashe
@thisismeihere Small progress is still progress.