• Subscribe
  • Have you ever felt awkward with open tab titles when sharing your screen during a call?

Maksym Potapenko
    32 replies
    Hi everyone, I’m wondering if anyone has experienced the issue of accidentally displaying private or sensitive browser tab titles while screen sharing during calls with colleagues or clients. If this has happened to you, could you share your experience and what steps you took to prevent it from happening again? Thanks in advance for your insights!

Replies

Bilal Asif
    Launching soon!
    Oh, absolutely! There’s always that split second of panic, hoping nothing embarrassing or random is open when sharing my screen. We've all been there! 😅
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @bilalasif ahah, in research process right now:) Can you drop a few lines about your vision how this should work? For example, should it happen manually by your click or some auto-triggers like opening Google Meet link or due to specific time? Thanks mate!
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @bilalasif Have you tried to find any solutions?
    Bilal Asif
    Launching soon!
    @maksym_potapenko not yet but i am guessing you have a startup idea for this?
    Bilal Asif
    Launching soon!
    @maksym_potapenko I think the solution would be a chrome extension that does the extension recording but at the same time we can add some feature to it that would make sure that the tabs (we can add some selection mechanism) their title and their content even can be censored. That is what i would have done if i were to create something like this. A Destkop application could also run with coordination with the chrome extension. That is my take. Lets connect on Linkedin as well, You can search me Bilal Asif or you can also connect with me by finding my LinkedIn profile from my PH profile.
    Alexander Galitsky
    Yeah, there should be a chrome extension or something that disguises all my open Onlyfans tabs. I feel extremely uncomfortable and insecure when someone notices them and even asks which creators I’m subscribed to and whether or not they should subscribe to them too? 🙅 “I dunno like do your own research guys and mabby we’d better get back to business?” This is what I typically respond, slightly smirking.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @ag94 Thank you Alex for your response! I found this issue myself, along with many funny videos where people mess up with sensitive tab titles during demonstrations. I was wondering if this problem resonates with anyone else. If so, I’m considering creating an extension that automatically hides tabs based on specific triggers or conditions, like time or when a call link is opened, etc. To sum up: Would a solution like this be worth a couple of bucks per month for you, or do you think it wouldn’t be worth it? I’d appreciate any further thoughts you might have.
    Alexander Galitsky
    @maksym_potapenko my words have zero weight until i actually pay. Ppl lie all the time. Don’t trick yourself. If you can ship the extension it a few days, then go for it? From there you will actually find out if ppl are willing to pay for it or not.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @ag94 ah, yup that is 100% right!
    Jamin Onuegbu
    @maksym_potapenko @ag94 very true, words have no weight until they actually pay for it
    Odette Celeste Montgomery
    Lol I feel you man! 😂 Def need a browser extension that can switch all your sketchy tabs to something innocent with one click when screen sharing. Call it like 'Nothing To See Here' or 'Totally SFW Tab Hider' 🙈 Would be clutch for avoiding those awk convos! Someone get on making this, I'd pay good money 💸
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @odettecelestemontgomery I appreciate your reply! I’ve encountered this issue myself and have come across plenty of humorous videos where people accidentally expose sensitive tab titles during presentations. I’m curious if this situation is something others struggle with as well. If it is, I’m thinking about developing an extension that could automatically hide tabs based on certain triggers—like after a set amount of time or when a call link is opened, for instance. With that in mind, do you think a solution like this would be worth paying a small monthly fee for, or would it not hold enough value for you? I’d love to hear any additional thoughts you might have.
    KurachiWeb 倉地 俊輔
    I've had the experience of my private bookmarks being seen by a business partner. Since using the Chrome profile switching solution, I haven't made that mistake again.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @kurachiweb would you automize this process somehow or it solves 100% your problem? Do you use any other browsers?
    Eric Foster
    It happened once during a client call super embarrassing! After that, I started bookmarking important tabs and closing everything else before sharing my scrreen
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @eric_fos_ter Thank you, Eric, for your response! Does this impact your company's privacy? What if all company computers had the same extension with an auto-trigger to hide tabs, ensuring employees avoid sharing private data? For example, if the extension detects an open Google Meet session, it could automatically close tabs from a designated "private list." Would this be of interest to your team?
    Robin P.
    Launching soon!
    Definitely! Now I make sure to either just have 1 window open or select the right tab or window I want to show (using Google Meet mostly)
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @robin_poelmans hey Rob! Thanks for response. Would you be interested in automatization this process? If so, would you be ready to pay a small fee monthly?
    Leslie Conner
    Oh yes, it's happened to me before! Now, I always make sure to close any tabs I don’t need before sharing my screen . It’s become a habit to double check before every call.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @leslie_conner nice to get your thoughts:) How do you reopen your tabs after call is over?
    Miele brown
    definetly been there! I started using a separate browser window just for the call, with only the e tabs I need open. Keeps things organized and avoids any awkward moments.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @miele_brown hi Miele! Thanks for participation. Do you use any extra tools for your organizing process in a browser?
    Misna Aira
    Thank you for making this post 🫶🏻 I make this mistake a lot, so I hope your opinions can help me overcome it
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @misnaaaairaaa thanks for responding! Could you please describe a bit more about your experience? Which auto-triggers might be useful for you to hide tabs?
    Milad Ranaei
    Yes, I've definitely had that awkward moment of sharing a screen. Now, I use browser extensions or open a separate browser window with only the necessary tabs for the call :D It helps avoid any embarrassing or distracting situations! How do you manage it?
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @milad_ranaei hey Milad! Which one extensions do you use for this purpose?
    Milad Ranaei
    @maksym_potapenko Hide Tabs and Windowed Hide Tabs conceals tab titles, while Windowed helps open a new, clean browser window for calls
    Shiva Tejasvi
    Yes, like seriously I have been through this "n" number of times.
    Maksym  Potapenko
    @shiva_tejasvi hey, shiva! do you use any tools to prevent it?
    Prince
    When you meet someone for the first time via screen sharing, it feels a little ... but I will not feel every time