• Subscribe
  • Getting women 'board-ready'

⚡Shrey Joshi
    10 replies
    I believe that it is the primary responsibility of the organisation to set-up systems which are conducive for healthy mentoring relationships. It has to be system driven where the mentors are formally trained with a buy-in into the process, willing to invest the right kind of time, effort and heart into the process. The system should be designed such that mentees can reach out to mentors beyond their 1st level network. Organisations can also benefit from providing mentoring opportunities through joining industry bodies where there is a much larger chance of finding a mentor whose experiences and thought processes may align with the needs of the mentee. You may have noticed that I have used gender neutral terminology here. This is because I believe that everyone will benefit from having a good mentor and not just women. Beyond mentoring, finding sponsors at work becomes crtical to advocate for one's career and is important to find the right ones, who would vouch for you in forums even when you are not present.

Replies

Kat Pim
    It's important to address the barriers women face in reaching board roles. More guidance on navigating these challenges would be helpful
    Zebracat AI
    Zebracat AI
    Launching soon!
    I completely agree, that structured mentoring and finding supportive sponsors are key to career advancement for everyone, not just women.
    Mindy Mcconaghy
    Great discussion! It’s so inspiring to see more foucs on getting women into board positions. I’d love to hear more about any mentorship programs or resources available to help women on this path
    Arslan Ali
    Absolutely agree! Effective mentoring requires structured systems and formal training. Gender neutrality is key; everyone benefits from good mentoring, not just women.
    George Rosevear
    Such an impotant topic! What are some practical steps women can take to prepare themselves for these roles?
    Isabel Hely
    Great point! Mentoring programs should be well organized and accessible to all. Finding the right sponsors at work can make a huge different in career is advancement .
    Cary Montrose
    I’m curious what skills or experiences are most valued for women aiming to join a board?
    Elsa Jonathan
    I’m curious about what specific skills or experiences are most valuable for getting board ready. Any insights?
    Parker Oliver
    Ensuring women are prepared for board positions is essential. Maybe mentorship programs could play a bigger role in this!
    Michael Anthony Roberts
    Agreed, structured mentoring and sponsors are crucial. I've seen firsthand how having senior leaders advocate for you and provide guidance can open doors. Another thing that helps women get board-ready is board governance training programs that cover key topics like financial oversight, risk management, corp strategy, etc. Orgs like WomenCorporateDirectors, Catalyst, and theBoardlist offer great programs.