Freelancers vs In-house developers. What do you prefer for your tasks? And why?

Shane Wen
6 replies
Obviously, there are a lot of pros and cons for both solutions. But whats you're focusing on?

Replies

Dogyun Jeong
I am a dev and have worked as both in-house dev and a freelancer. Now I am leading product development. All my experiences are mainly focused on founding-stage startups. IMO, when you need additional hands for the short term but not developing totally new features, freelancers are a good option. However, whenever domain context is important, In-house developers are much more efficient in cost and productivity. for my own tasks, it is the same. If I am a freelance and my client asks me to learn/involving in their domain context, I would charge more and be more careful about team and contract lengths.
Martekings Team
Motivated and vetted freelancers are always better! @shanewen
It's really expensive to hire in-house devs in Scandinavia, however the quality is usually better for in-house ones
Kunal Mehta
When it comes to my tasks, I appreciate the benefits of both freelancers and in-house developers. Freelancers offer flexibility, diverse expertise, and cost-effectiveness, while in-house developers provide better collaboration and long-term commitment. I believe it's crucial to assess project requirements and objectives to make the best choice for optimal results.
Mei
It depends on: • the type of task you've got –– scale, complexity etc • your budget • what you're looking to achieve Some tasks absolutely cannot be delegated to contractors. Other tasks it makes a lot more sense to outsource them, especially if they distract your core product team from working on what matters most.
Jacelyn Sia
If you prioritize access to global talent, flexibility, and cost savings, hire remote developers. If close collaboration, immediate availability, and alignment with company culture are key, opt for in-house developers. Consider your unique requirements and organization dynamics when making the decision.