FREE TRIAL or NOT

Stain Lu
17 replies
🙋Any advice on whether we should offer free trial? 🤔What factors should be considered? 🙅‍♀️Would you cancel subscription right before free trial ends / after first payment issued? 🥳Share best examples of payment design you‘ve seen!!!

Replies

Salma Mayorquin
A mentor once told me "The magic should be free." Limit the friction to finding the wow moment using your product. Then sell "boring" features like logging, collaboration, etc to enterprise.
Domas Sakavickas
In my opinion, a free trial is a must, especially for newcomers in the market. I personally hesitate to pay upfront for a brand I don't know well. Regarding cancellation, if my goal is just to try something out, then yes, I'll cancel it right away. I once forgot to cancel and got charged 180€ for an app I never used. That was a good lesson for me 😄 An interesting example is Ahrefs (SEO tool). They've never really offered a true free trial. When I started using it about 4 years ago, they had a 7-day trial for 7€. Last year, I noticed they no longer offer this option. But you know, I would say Ahrefs is a no1 tool for SEO pros, having been around since 2010. I was surprised when they scrapped the 7€ trial, but if they did, it must be working out for them. FYI, the cheapest plan is 89€/month, but usually, you buy for 179€ as the cheapest one doesn't have some core functions.
Ruben Boonzaaijer
Depends on the product, what are you working on?
Darrell M. Dengler
my opinion is FREE TRIAL
Neel
imo, YES - a FREE TRIAL helps build trust and suggests the customer that you are not a 'cash-grab' entity. The duration of the trial must be optimal though - depending on the practices in the industry 3-days, 7-days or 14-days trial!
Neel
@stain In case of my app - MoodScriber. (You can check it out. Would love your feedback :)) We are in the productivity (tracking) app space. The features are few, simple and not complicated - so onboarding/orientation time for the user is not going to take long. 1-2 visits is enough for the user to figure out if he/she would want to use it. I've seen other apps in this space offer 3-day trials too.
Mayank K Sahu
Depends on the products but free trail works most of the time!
Gurkaran Singh
Offering a free trial can attract more users, but it's important to consider factors like user conversion rates and trial duration. Cancelling right before the trial ends is a risk, but some might do it - that's the wild west of subscriptions! As for payment designs, simplicity and transparency are key for a seamless user experience. Happy hunting!