• Subscribe
  • Forever Free Plans: Game-Changer or Gimmick? Share Your Experience!

Ezgi Arslantay
    17 replies
    Hey Product Hunt community! I’m curious about the “always free forever” options that some products offer. For those of you who have used these free plans, what have been the benefits and what have you found lacking? Let’s discuss the pros and cons! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences. Does this work for you?

Replies

Andreas Sohns
    Great question! At Gleans (Gleans.me), we have a forever-free plan for our beta users. The pros are that people do not worry about costs it helps us get valuable feedback and the Cons are some features are limited compared to paid plans. keeping it sustainable long-term is tough
    Poulami
    Our was free- it helps in gettingmore and more users and sign ups and people using the product , for sure. It also helps in smaller payments from those users (free trial ones) when there're compelling needs (case in pt- think Canva). So, I feel the moot is - it depends on where you are at your journey and if you have that kinda VC money in place
    Salar Davari
    Photopea has certain free features which I've been using for a few years now. You can check it here. https://www.photopea.com/
    Henry Habib
    I think they're great for getting people in the door. Look at Canva or CapCut - tons of free users, but the ones who really need it go Pro. It's a smart way to get users hooked on the product before they decide to pay.
    CY Zhou
    Forever free plans can be a game-changer for startups and small businesses by providing essential tools without financial strain. However, they often come with limitations that might push users to upgrade eventually.
    My3 Murthy
    I haven't tried it but this is a great question Ezgi- following the conversation
    Lakshya Singh
    Jupitrr AI is still free to use. But there are limitations. It helped us to get exposure and then plan a funnel to convert the free users into paid ones. I think keeping the product free helps in the initial stage. But then you have to monetize it by adding some limitations to the free plan.
    Ezgi Arslantay
    @lakshya_singh what are the essentials in your conversion funnel to paid? thanks!
    Lakshya Singh
    @ezgi_arslantay Generally its Email campaign. Jupitrr AI's CEO, Harris, sends a newsletter every week including updates about product and sometimes sharing tips on how to make a better video, etc. And some users upgrade to the paid plan through that. Also, we have setup a email funnel for the free users too.
    Ethan Samuel
    Forever free plans can be a fantastic way to attract and retain users, but they need to offer genuine value without hidden limitations. What's your take? Have they worked for you?
    Yvik Ye
    Definitely gimmick, cuz I always believe "There is no such thing as a free lunch".
    Gurkaran Singh
    Using forever free plans is like getting the unlimited lives cheat code in a game - it feels great until you hit that paywall boss level. Have you embraced the free plan life, or are you more of a premium power-up kind of player?
    Royce Wong
    I think having a free tier helps to land your product and from there expand within the business. Its also a great way for new users to try before commiting to the product.