• Subscribe
  • ❌ Don't ask your new users any questions

Iuliia Shnai
    31 replies
    Just kidding... Ask Ask ask... If you don't ask you definitely will get no answer. Asking questions is a significant part of user onboarding and segmentation. What questions to ask your new users to make their future experience with your SaaS a blast? πŸ† Top 3 questions to ask in your first-time user onboarding: #1 Where did you find us? πŸ“ If some of your lead generation magnets and channels are not yet fully set up or Google Analytics does not give enough insights, ask users where they come from. #2 What you would like to achieve with our software? 🎯 To segment users and further personalize the experience of the users. So you can further divide and address differently different groups. #3 What is your role? πŸƒ This question also will help you segment your users. And understand better your target audience. What questions do you guys ask? By the way, I gathered the insights from analyzing 100+ user onboarding flows from Top SaaS companies and soon to launch https://www.producthunt.com/upcoming/100-user-onboarding-examples

Replies

Iuliia Shnai
    @sewell_stephens Agree with that if questions are not asked in the right time like we discussed with @geri_mate I think also if you ask questions before in order to segment users can be a good idea to address further users better.
    Geri MΓ‘tΓ©
    Everybody talks about ask questions but nobody mentions when. Do you have an opinion on that? :) I think timing is crucial, I especially don't like it when I feel interrupted by the question popping up - if that happens don't expect me to give any feedback.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @geri_mate I love your thinking. In the right time and in the right place. This is definitely a key. I maybe did not explain these here, but it is mostly about questions you ask in first time user journey with your SaaS. When they clicked Start now from your website, after comes Sign Up--> Onboarding and Segmentation (with these questions) --> First user experience (Checklist, Product tour and etc...) If you don't have for example your product yet, it can be directly survey and gathering email.
    Geri MΓ‘tΓ©
    @iuliia_shnai Do you think it's worth to wait for the user to complete a user flow before asking them questions? I imagine it'd be less distracting but it'd maybe lead to a loss of feedback. But then they'd be able to give a more complete answer if they do give a feedback. So it'd lead to quality > quantity of feedbacks
    Iuliia Shnai
    @geri_mate I think if we talk about this type of questions, like what is your goal and what you want to achieve, should be ideally asked before getting in. So I see the great flow when you get the email from users for account creation and than can ask details and these onboarding questions (they still should be able to skip them) Just because you can than segment them immediately. So for us for example we than segment who come with goal to create onboarding or generate leads, so two different groups and we further show them different info inside the product. But you are totally right that you can ask more feedback questions further on after using your SaaS.
    Sandra Idjoski
    I'd also ask about what they've been using before they found us and why they switched. It can be a great insight to help with the content we produce and communication generally.
    Geri MΓ‘tΓ©
    @sandra_idjoski Really cool input because sometimes competition and use cases come from a blind spot!
    Iuliia Shnai
    @sandra_idjoski @geri_mate Agree, great idea. For our product we also ask on our alternative pages why they looking for alternative. We give like the most reasons. Here an example. Ask in the gamified format. https://www.marbleflows.com/outg...
    Sandra Idjoski
    @geri_mate @iuliia_shnai Love this, these pages are such a good idea. :)
    Scott Kosmach
    #4 What is your biggest challenge? πŸ’ͺ This question is a goldmine. It gives you insights into the real problems your users face. It might be helpful to create content or features that addresses these challenges.
    Scott Kosmach
    @iuliia_shnai 100%. It also provides valuable insights into areas of potential pain for the customer that may not be relevant to your product or service, but gives you an idea of where you fit into their overall headspace.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @skosmach I think it is great question. And somehow to me correlate with the Goal question.
    Arda Ertem
    We ask them A LOT OF questions :-))) - What was going on in your life/business that made you look for a product like ours? - What problems do you experience? - Did you try any other similar solutions before you found ours? - Why did you ultimately decide to choose our product? - For which use cases did you use our product? - What is the main benefit you received from our product? - What do you think we should do so our product fits your workflow more effectively? and many more... This is of course after them using our product. So timing will vary depending on the type of insight you want to get. We also ask questions to get to know our waitlisters better once they sign up on our website – https://www.scrintal.com. Prior to deciding our early-access plan, we did another survey asking them about their opinions on pricing. Timing is key as @geri_mate underlined but you can break those into pieces and not throw all the questions at once. I'm not an expert and shouldn't act like one but it worked for us to ask questions in every step of the user flow.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @geri_mate @arda_ertem Hi Arda I love it! I think if they break into pieces and are packaged nicely it can really work well and users will be willing to respond. I will add your questions in my list:) What are you using to ask questions in the waiting list or in the product?
    Anne Robertson
    Thanks for sharing and starting this thread! Def going to add all of these questions to my list :)
    Software Guy (Aarvy)
    I loved this post. Only after I read "just kidding" I could make sense of the headline. Thank you for sharing these insights.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @software_guy The goal was to make the header a bit contradictory:)
    Wiktoria Jaszcza
    Why did you get interested in our app? What convinced you to buy the app? How does the app help you on a daily basis? What is the biggest issue(s) that it solves for you?
    Wiktoria Jaszcza
    @iuliia_shnai Thank you Iuliia for the discussion. Lots of great questions and tips from other hunters :)
    Iuliia Shnai
    @w_j Great questions! All provides a lot of insight and can be asked in different times.
    Gordana Laskovic
    I’d also add two more questions to the list: β€œWhat made you try our software?” β€œWhich features are the most valuable for you?” I think open-ended questions as well as short ones will me help to understand what motivated them to try our software. It's a good way to connect with users and show them that their opinion is really important to us.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @gordana_laskovic I agree. I think the second question best to ask after users tried the software but the first can still be a part of onboarding. What do you think?
    Gordana Laskovic
    @iuliia_shnai You're abosolutly right. The second one is definitely after they tried the software.
    Karolina
    Amazing thread! Good to have so many tips in one place :) I usually ask about problems that our customers encounter and then I do my best to provide the best possible solution. It works! πŸ™Œ
    Daniel Engels
    Well, it's best to set up acquisition tracking properly so that you don't need to ask the "where did you find us?" question to your users.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @daniel_engels 100% agree with that. If you can track all the channels. There is definitely no need to ask that.
    Brenna Donoghue
    Love this! (Marble Flows looks really neat!) I love asking: 1. Which of our competitors they've tried? What did they like best about them and why aren't they using it anymore? 2. If we were to disappear, would they be very disappointed, somewhat disappointed or indifferent? The feedback from those who would be very disappointed is so helpful to learn what matters most to our core users.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @brenna_donoghue thank you 😊 I think the last question is the core. If you have a significant group of users who love your product, and clearly understand why users don’t like it, this is a key insights for improvement.