Do you watch videos with or without sound? πŸ”‡

Carol Moh
36 replies
I found some interesting stats that might surprise you (it surprised me at first but made sense after I thought about my habits πŸ˜…) 75% of people keep their phones on mute 80% of videos on LinkedIn are viewed without sound. 85% of videos on Facebook are viewed without sound. 37% will turn on sound because captions sparked interest Regardless of the sound, I have subtitles on almost 100% of the time, especially for things like YouTube and Netflix - I definitely find I absorb more. What about you?

Replies

Annitah
My phone is always on mute, but I watch videos with sound on 50% of time
Alex Shilin
Good stats. I thought the percentage of views with no sound is even higher. Thank you for sharing. There is a whole new direction in marketing of providing content to audience without ability to track and to do accurate attribution. People don't click but still consume.
Carol Moh
@alex_shilin indeed! Even if they do click, they just opt not to have the sound. I think this is also because we are in the age of multi-tasking and short attention spans so they just want to quickly test if it is "worth them watching" before committing.
Alex Shilin
@carolmoh there is definitely less clicking. Medium doesn't pay for claps any more, YouTube pay for watched minutes etc. Many people do it while in the office, on a web calls or sitting in a toilet and thumb scrolling. They pause, watch, scroll.
ISTIAK AHMAD
@alex_shilin Absolutely! The silent majority, consuming content like silent ninjas. πŸ€πŸ•΅οΈβ€β™‚οΈ It's a game-changer for marketing, finding ways to engage without the click. The covert viewers, leaving no digital footprint but soaking in the content magic. Silent but impactful, the true content connoisseurs! What's your take on navigating this silent content realm? πŸ€”
Alex Shilin
@istiakahmad in one word - Brand. If we can associate Brand with the problem we solve, we have a chance to be remembered at the right time. I wish there was a good way to associate a feeling with software as well. If I say - Coca Cola - what do you feel and think? If I say - "Schhh" - what is the brand? If I say - Internet Explorer - we probably have association as well πŸ˜…
ISTIAK AHMAD
@alex_shilin Absolutely! Branding is the heartbeat of recall. It's the symphony that plays in our minds when the right strings are struck. And oh, the nostalgic "Schhh" moment! Each brand, a unique melody in the symphony of memories.
ISTIAK AHMAD
Ah, the eternal debate of sound or no sound! Personally, I'm in the subtitle squad tooβ€”captions just add that extra flair to the visual storytelling. Whether it's for info or pure entertainment, subtitles are my sidekick in the video-watching adventure. What about you? Sound on, off, or the magical captions? πŸŽ¬πŸΏπŸ”‡
George Burmistrov
If I watch a video I either watch it or listen to it :D I dunno, maybe you can mute vids like Insta Reels or TikTok, where people add captions. However, these captions are usually automatically generated and contain mistakes. I also saw one creator put completely different text to the captions. It's like two versions of one video, an interesting approach
Carol Moh
@burmistrov I have seen that on YouTube before where they have an ASMR video and then the subtitles are just whatever they are wanting to chat about πŸ˜‚
Jessica Herman
without sound is better
Carol Moh
@jessica_herman2 do you ever feel like you are missing anything by not having the sound on?
Igor Lysenko
I always watch videos with sound.
Kyle Henz
If these are reels. Then on silent.
Shajedul Karim
most people watching videos without sound, that's pretty interesting. i usually go sound-off unless it really grabs me, and always use subtitles. helps me catch everything. what about you? always on mute or full volume?
Carol Moh
@shajedulkarim_ I’m the same! I always start on mute and then turn on sound if I am interested or restart it with sound!
Jake B (Launched 11.20)
Yikes… makes me think twice about videos
Carol Moh
@chtrbx_ai video is still super important people retain and recall information much more than just via text or images. But it’s just being mindful to always have subs or text on the screen so that your messaging still makes sense without sound! Your demo sizzle video does exactly that so all good πŸ‘
Stephanie Hubbard
This is so interesting! I definitely only turn on sound if the captions intrigue me.
Roland Marlow
I don't watch videos much but when I do, sound on. If anything, it's sound on and just listen, not actually watch.
Oleg Naumenko
Wow, that's utterly interesting As for me, I do mute all notifications except calls And I hate unsolicited videos But if I've deliberately chosen a video, I always turn the sound on Maybe the stats take into account all those autoplays?
Carol Moh
@naou I believe stats take into account people scrolling through social media platforms or viewing videos passively like most marketing type videos. It’s different if you purposefully pick a video to watch for sure! πŸ™‚
AndrΓ© J
Launching soon!
Always off. Always listening to music, and most vids has subtitles now
Carol Moh
@sentry_co what would make you stop your music and listen to the sound of a video? For example a visually great video or interesting captions that get your attention?
Ashley
Wow, I've never thought some people would like to watch videos without a voice, it quite shocked me 😧. I mean, of course, sometimes I would mute the video, but only in some special places like the office... so I'm just wondering why people would like to watch silence videos??
Carol Moh
@ashley_z I think it is more when they are looking at social media and in a passive mode or they are multitasking and doing other things at the same time. We have such short attention spans that only if something grabs our attention do we stop and focus on it. So, in terms of marketing, it's making sure your visuals and subtitles are just as important as your audio (music and voiceover). I think something like YouTube, for example, or TikTok - I am specifically there to consume video content, so my sound would naturally be on. However, if I don't have headphones or somewhere where my music can't be played loud i would watch on mute or very low sound.
Alexandr Builov
With sound, at 1.75 speed
Imran Razak
With sound. I can’t do subtitles.
Max
I like to listen
AmazingSylvia
of course with sound!