• Subscribe
  • Do you think AI-generated content will commoditize user-generated content?

Mukesh Singh
    9 replies
    Everyday, I see new tools coming up that ease the creation of content on different social media platforms. For example, today https://www.producthunt.com/posts/socialsonic-ai was launched and I noticed how easy it would be for anyone to write personalized posts on LinkedIn. But it is intriguing to think that if anyone, irrespective of whether they know about a topic or not, is able to create high-quality posts, then I as a consumer will not know what posts are valuable for me, among the plethora of those posts and eventually will affect the engagement of good creators. Do you think there will come a point when UGC on social media and other platforms will be commoditized enough to loose majority of it's value and associated marketing benefits?

Replies

Willow Evangeline Harlow
    I think AI-generated content will supplement and enhance user-generated content rather than commoditize it. AI can help users write better posts by providing ideas, summaries, and optimizations. But it can't replicate the unique expertise, experience, and perspective that knowledgeable human creators bring. AI will empower users similar to how spreadsheets empowered bookkeepers - changing the process but not eliminating the need for human insight and creativity. AI is a tool to augment human content creation, not replace it entirely.
    Vishant Batta
    If feel you are right. But, the scale of it will be limited I think. AI will be able to empower the users to write posts, but not put in the kind of expertise/experience that a genuinely knowledgeable person can share. AI will be able to help in compiling the post better and maybe summarize and give ideas, but not drive what and how to deliver. Can draw parallel to how in early 2000s everyone said that basic bookkeeping will be vanished, but we still see it in a new avatar powered by excel and now AI. Something similar will happen to social media too. For example: book authors won't be commoditized because there are a lot of variables in the process of writing a book that AI cannot yet handle.
    Jasper Miles Hawkins
    AI will definitely impact user-generated content to some degree. But I think truly insightful, experience-based posts from knowledgeable humans will still be highly valued. AI can help polish and streamline content creation, but it can't fully replicate genuine expertise and novel ideas. Kind of like how AI now assists with basic tasks in many fields, but human judgment and creativity are still essential. So while AI may change the landscape, I don't think it will totally commoditize user content, especially for thought leaders and subject matter experts sharing original perspectives.
    Zainab Adamu
    AI-generated content can blur the lines between valuable and low quality posts. With so much content everywhere, it might overshadow truly insightful user contribution.
    Blondelle Pai
    AI tool certainly makes content creation easier, but I believe there will always be a place for authentic, user generated content.
    Shelli Dickinson
    It’s possible that AI could lead to more uniform content, which might affect engagement for original creators. However, platforms might adapt to highlight high quality unique posts maintain the value.
    Zane Ryan
    It is undoubtedly more convenient for artificial intelligence regarding rewriting and plagiarism... In the future, a large amount of AI-generated content will undoubtedly flood various major platforms.
    Kevin Martinez
    It will definitely have an impact, but I don't think high-quality user-generated content can be fully replaced. AI will assist and enhance UGC rather than commoditize it entirely. For example, AI could help users write better posts by providing suggestions and ideas. But the unique insights, experiences, and personality that an individual brings is hard to fully replicate with AI (at least with current tech). So while AI-assisted content will grow, standout UGC from genuine subject matter experts will still be highly valued. Similar to how AI is changing other creative fields but not fully replacing the human element.
    Mia Sophia Walker
    I think AI will definitely impact user-generated content to some degree, but not fully replace it. AI can help users write more polished posts by providing suggestions and summaries. But the unique insights, experiences and creative flair that humans bring is hard to fully replicate with AI alone. It'll be more of a symbiotic relationship where AI empowers human content creation rather than completely commoditizing it. Kind of like how spreadsheets changed bookkeeping but didn't eliminate the need for human accountants.