Do we really need mentors in our business? πŸ‘¨β€πŸ« πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’»

Boris Markarian
27 replies
I've been thinking about it for a long time... Some people say that having a mentor is like having a cheat code in a game: guidance, wisdom and someone to call when you're about to make a colossal mistake. 🧠 Others believe that making your own mistakes is the best teacher, like learning how to ride a bike by falling a few times (and hoping you don't break many bones in the process). πŸ’€ Personally, I've had mentors who have been absolutely invaluable. They've kept me from making a lot of mistakes. But sometimes I wonder...do they really understand what I'm trying to create? πŸ€” Do they have the same vision that I do? πŸ€” Should I follow my heart or their advice? πŸ€” If I need to find a balance, should it be 50/50?πŸ€” Why? πŸ€” I have a lot of questions and a lot less answers. 🫠 What are your thoughts? Do you have any mentors? πŸ‘¨β€πŸ« Best, BorisMoris

Replies

Ilia
Undoubtedly, such people are needed in any business and as many as possible. The only question is whether you can find and afford the right person.
Vladimir Tambovtsev
No one knows better than you what you need. If you know specifically what you want to learn from this person, then maybe this is a good idea
Boris Markarian
@vladimir_tambovtsev I agree, we have to believe in ourselves, but also use the experience of our mentors to avoid common mistakes
Ibileke Samuel
Like Neil Armstrong said…”If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants” this simply means that mentors are needed in our day to day decision, so we don’t make the same mistake they made. The path to your success becomes shorter with the help of mentors. Hope this helpsπŸ˜‡
Boris Markarian
@theonlyleke Wow, what a great quote! Thank you, Ibileke! I agree, but even giants make mistakes sometimes) and what is more important, Giants grew out of little people, and were not immediately born giants
Ibileke Samuel
@boris_moris44 yes, the point is that let these giants teach you their way and you’ll end up successful with little or no mistakes
Artem Konovalov πŸ’Ž
Love this topic! I've had mentors who've been super helpful, but sometimes I felt like they didn't quite get my vision. Would love to hear more about how others navigate this balance
Dzmitry Tsemirau
It all depends on the specific situation and the mentor. If you need his experience and network (and he has them), then of course, yes.
Olga Averianova
Boris, mentors are like GPS: useful, but sometimes they try to make you drive into a lake. πŸš—πŸ’¦Anyhow, without mine, I wouldn't have made it far!
Boris Markarian
@olga_averianova Ahahah, what a nice statement! Yes, I agree, we need to listen to our mentors, not obey them.
Susan Pan
I really think having a mentor is the most effective way to help a newbie landing. Mentor is also a good way to continue a corporate's culture and showing love around the community which could make the team more coherent. I personally really thank to my previous mentors and I'm still good friends with them even when I've left the company. Really suggest all big companies could have mentorship program provided, especially for the graduates.
Boris Markarian
@susan_pan1 Exactly! That is the key! We need more mentoring in big companies, not silly courses! Real experience is more important than everything!
Viktor Fidler
I haven't really had anyone who I can consider a mentor in my life, but I think that It's important to have an unbiased friend/partner etc you can bounce ideas off
Julia Zhidkova
I think it's a good practice to have mentors and gain their experience. It's a good way to develop and achieve your goals faster. And yet you are going to make your own mistakes, because it's your path...
Paula Schiffelbein
Hi Boris! Great subject! I prefer that my mentors and coaches help me evolve and understand people better. When it comes to our studio or ventures, our activities and purpose can sometimes differ, so I prefer to follow our own path.
Maryna Kotenko
I have a mentor, he was provided by the company. He is great, but I feel like we’ve accomplished what we can together. Just like everything in business, you should always have clear goals for why the mentor is with you.
Zachary
Yes we really need mentors in our business
Boris Markarian
@zac_ary What type of business do you have?
David Murray
According to me mentors are very important in our business
Boris Markarian
@david_muray That's tru, but what type of business do you have?