Dark mode or Light mode?

Muzammil Merchant
36 replies
While dark mode is easier on the eyes in low-light environments which helps reduce eye strain. Light mode generally offers superior contrast for better readability, especially in bright environments. In this battle between dark and light interfaces, which side do you see yourself more inclined towards and why?

Replies

Business Marketing with Nika
The most of time – Light – my eyesight hates me 🙈 but I can see details better. 🙂
Arthur Leclercq
I prefer dark mode, for the comfort of my eyes
Andrew C.
all day all night... DARK MODE ...all the way
Pari Pushpakar
I personally prefer dark mode.
My3 Murthy
Dark for me- also helps me focus for some reason!
Muzammil Merchant
@my3_murthy Same; for some reason dark mode along with some soothing background music helps me focus every night.
Vaibhav
Preference wise, Dark mode but I have found a middle ground with both of them.
Muzammil Merchant
@vaibhavdwivedi Although my default theme is always dark mode, I too enjoy light mode for some apps every now and then because of better color usage.
Loane
I dont even remember how the light mode look like
Konrad S.
Light. Dark only to save power. Somehow my eyes don't like dark mode. Is there scientific evidence that dark is better for the eyes?
Muzammil Merchant
@konrad_sx Both have their own pros and cons. The immediate benefit people found of dark mode was that it's easier on the eyes if you are working in low-light situations. Light mode does emit more blue light, which can suppress melatonin production (the hormone that regulates sleep) but still, dark mode is not the solution for it as it just reduces the blue light that's emitted. For individual convenience, I think it's completely subjective and I don't think there is any scientific evidence which proves one is better than the other.
Aarav Krishna
Contrary to the popular belief I prefer light mode on everything, it makes me feel calm and relaxed.
Tanya Sharath
I am also in favor of light colors, because they have positive impact on overall mood.
Leo Henry
I find myself towards dark mode for its eye comfort and sleek aesthetics especially during late night work sessions.
Launching soon!
Dark mode allows for reduced eye strain and improved focus on the content, enhancing the overall user experience. Problem: Struggling to consistently create and publish engaging content across various platforms while maintaining brand identity. Contentify can help by automating the creation and publication of content, optimizing SEO, and handling scheduling and publishing according to user-defined settings, allowing for a more efficient and effective content marketing strategy. Try Contentify AI for Free here just look up Contentify AI
David Grunwald
I like light mode always!
Muzammil Merchant
@david_grunwald1 Is there any specific reason you prefer it over dark mode?
Susan Pan
I choose dark mode as people around me all use light, wanna distinguish myself. But here I found most people use dark mode lol
Muzammil Merchant
@susan_pan1 Haha, in this poll, 70% of people (from I think 15-25 people) prefer dark mode, a percentage that is higher than I had expected.
Jenifer Mogh
Dark Mode. But there are a few companies and apps that have still not switched or added a dark mode option which is completely ignorant from their side, since as per this limited survey 70% people prefer dark mode over light mode.
Muzammil Merchant
@jenifer_mogh This survey is definitely limited and should not be taken at face value. The 70% of response is almost from 15-25 people if my estimate is right. That being said, I think companies need to understand that these theme settings are a major consideration for a lot of people, consciously or subconsciously.
Bhhavesh Desalhey
I tend to lean towards dark mode. Here's why: Eye Strain Reduction: In low-light environments, dark mode is much easier on the eyes, reducing the harshness of bright screens. Aesthetic Preference: I find the visual appeal of dark mode more modern conception, polished and create more depth and place for drama. But for Docxter which we designed, team came up to keep light theme with several reasons like, 1. Readability: Keeping perfect balance combination of font, colour and weight 2. Consistency: A consistent light mode create a unified experience for users, especially if they are habitual to light interfaces in similar product niche. 3. Wider Adoption: Many users are more familiar with and prefer light mode, which can make the product more accessible and intuitive for a wider range audience.
Muzammil Merchant
@bhhavesh_desalhey These points are very valid. Maybe in the future, you could create dark mode as an option for users' personal preferences as well. To the point of modern conception, many companies do create dark mode interfaces instead of light mode, especially seen in websites (not sure of apps).
Bhhavesh Desalhey
@muzammil_22 Yes, design team can look forward for that taking personalization to next step. Even though it may sound easy to implement but can create a massive impact for users. Thanks for suggestion. 😊
I have seen really bad implementations of dark mode, even though it is supposed to be soothing to your eyes and mind. I love dark mode more. My mac's system settings are for dark so whichever website/web app is set for adapting to system settings, I see dark mode. However, not all dark is good. Some cases, light mode and full color mode is great. To solve for this, among other things, my team has built a UIUX suite and design system. You can find our page here, and support us if you want to :)
Muzammil Merchant
@vertikanigam I agree dark mode isn't always executed in the best way. This is a nice initiative from you and your team. Notifications are on, waiting for your product launch 🙌