Curious to know! Are there any areas or industries where you believe AI should not be applied? Why?

Vaishali Rastogi
25 replies

Replies

Saileswar Mahakud
Great question! I think unsupervised interventions in any area having first degree impact on human lives, at this point of time, can be avoided. AI is still evolving. But I am bit pessimistic about its application to perform data synthesis in critical sectors. There are certain jobs that humans do best. Like, making a judgement call or situations that call for proceeding with a gut driven decision as to something being good or bad. Contextually right or wrong!
Nuno Reis
It always depends on how. But in restaurants for example I like to be served by a person that gets to know me, and my tastes and engages in conversation about the day for 1 minute while taking the order. It may be a very Portuguese thing, but I like those interactions around food and drink to be personal and not automated :P
@nuno_ms_reis Ah, what a fascinating avenue for enhancing human interaction! However, the sad reality is that AI has already begun to make its mark in this realm.
Nuno Reis
@vaishali_rastogi I've seen that. I've been to restaurants where the interaction with people is just them bringing you food, and everything else is digital. Not my prefered interaction indeed.
Shaur ul Asar
Sectors like healthcare, legal systems, and creative domains require careful consideration.
@shaur_ul_asar Absolutely! I share your viewpoint completely. When appropriately supervised and monitored, AI has the potential to serve as a highly efficient aid in this field.
Deluar Hosain
That's a very interesting and important question. I think AI has a lot of potential to benefit humanity in many areas and industries, such as health care, education, agriculture, transportation, and entertainment. However, I also think there are some areas or industries where AI should not be applied, or at least applied with great caution and ethical oversight. For example: • AI should not be used to harm or deceive people, such as in cyberattacks, warfare, propaganda, or fraud. • AI should not be used to violate human rights or dignity, such as in surveillance, censorship, discrimination, or exploitation. • AI should not be used to replace human creativity or judgment, such as in art, literature, music, or law. • AI should not be used to undermine human autonomy or agency, such as in manipulation, coercion, addiction, or dependency. These are some of my personal opinions on where AI should not be applied. Of course, there may be different perspectives and arguments on this topic. I think it is important to have an open and respectful dialogue about the benefits and risks of AI, and to ensure that AI is developed and used in a responsible and ethical way that respects human values and interests.
@deluar_001 Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts on the matter. I totally agree with your viewpoint that AI holds significant potential as long as it is trained and monitored well. Thanks for raising these important points and contributing to the conversation.
Marian Hunter
Good question. Yes, you can find areas where you can do without AI. But in any field or industry, AI can be used for advice.
Well, AI is pretty useful in most areas, but I don't think we should let it write comedy. Can you imagine AI doing stand-up? - Why did the robot cross the road? - To get to the charging station!
@realvladgolub Woah! It got me so interested to look out for a robot doing stand-up! Found this:
Share your thoughts on this!😉
Lucas
healthcare, education, and criminal justice
Gregory Adams
Yes, there are certain areas where AI should not be applied. For example, AI should not be used in decision-making processes that involve ethical considerations, such as matters of life and death, as human judgment and empathy are crucial in such cases. Additionally, AI should not replace human creativity and artistic expression, as it is an essential aspect of our culture and individuality.
Instead of outright prohibiting its use, it is important to consider ethical implications and make sure human judgment and accountability are maintained especially in certain areas such as healthcare, legal systems, autonomous weapons, and sensitive data analysis.
Marilena Nikou
I would say it has to do more with how it is implemented rather than where - in healthcare for example the benefits can be enormous (for therapy development, vaccines, diagnostics, etc) but then maybe there are areas that it should not be used
Healthcare should avoid using AI since the whole concept of industry is made upon ethical dilemmas, human interaction and empathy.
Othmane Khadri
Justice. Empathy is essential, some judges are already losing this sense, adding on top of that AI might either make it worse or, solve it entirely. I can't say...
Suyash Adhikari
Everywhere, gradually you will forget what to do next like you forgot all the phone numbers from your memory after the smart phone evolution. AI is good, the creation is good, evolution is good. But do you for-see the future with it's impact?