Clout or connection 🎭

Remington
14 replies
I've been reflecting on trends I've noticed, both in the tech industry and society at large. I'll admit I might have a slightly cynical outlook, but I can't help noticing a pattern in my interactions - whether online on platforms like PH and LinkedIn, or IRL. It often feels like there's an underlying agenda, with people constantly angling for some benefit or advantage. I find myself questioning, Are genuine connections between builders still valued? Or has everything devolved into a chase for likes, follows, and clout?

Replies

Ksenia Meshkova
In my opinion, even if you start an activity for the sake of your success, you should be respectful. I mean If you want someone to follow you, like your posts, answer your comments, or vote for you, you should reciprocate. I can't understand people who ask for help or attention and don't give it back, I think it is selfish. However, I can understand people who become active only during the period they are interested in this activity, and they give their interest and time back to the people who helped them. People help people, I am for honesty and openness β™‘β™‘β™‘
Mark Lemuel M
@kksrm true I do this a lot! some of them reciprocate some are not. can't please all people but giving is a virtue of the universe and it will come back to you #lawofattraction
Karman
Here’s a comment you can use for this discussion on clout versus genuine connections: I can definitely relate to your reflections, Remington. It's easy to become cynical in a landscape where networking often seems transactional, especially on platforms like Product Hunt and LinkedIn. The constant pursuit of likes, follows, and clout can make it feel like every interaction has an ulterior motive.
Aqsa Sajjad
I’ve noticed the same trend, Remington, but I believe genuine connections still matter and can be found with the right people.
Hakim Zerhouni
I share your concern, Remington; while clout chasing is prevalent, genuine connections still exist and are truly valued.
CY Zhou
It's all about genuine connection for me. Clout might get you noticed, but real relationships build lasting success.
My3 Murthy
Connection > Clout. What good is clout when you can't sit down and have a chat with your community?
Aruna Neervannan
Having ulterior motives is a quick way to earn distrust. I guess a part of what makes genuine connections so valuable is their scarcity.
April-li
I found the same phenomenon as you,perhaps time will prove everything, and after a period of time, the old friends who remain at the same place will be your loyal companions.
Elizabeth Thompson
Definitely seeing this trend too. I feel like the chase for clout is everywhere now, especially on LinkedIn. But hey, genuine connections still exist if you look in the right places! Sometimes it's about finding the right communities or groups where people are truly passionate about building together. Anyone else notice this shift or have tips on finding authentic connections?