Cloud vs Selfhosted

Arjun Acharya
3 replies
Hi All, My name is Arjun and I am the founder of Thinker: https://www.thinkerapp.org. Do you believe you want to own your data or are you willing to sacrifice it to a cloud for the purpose of convenience? I a, trying to understand this from a point of building Thinker Cloud.

Replies

Trey Winterbourne
Personally I'm a kind of an AWS Fanboy, and kind of trust them only. I tend to find myself trusting small SaaS apps very little, as often the developers are either inexperienced or just don't have a big enough budget to stay secure. It depends on the product though, Thinker being note taking and planning, seems like a fair use case for Cloud. I'd feel like my "data" is secure enough with you. How would users be able to "own your data" in this case? Would that be a possibility?
Kabir
Depends on your financials and legal risk tolerance. We switched to cloud decade ago from full self hosted platform running five 42U cabinet full of gears in a major data center in Fremont to virtual servers across three different continents due to GDPR and other regulatory requirements. We do host a series of dark sites on our own bare metal servers for fall back redundancy that we didn’t need to deploy ever.
Arjun Acharya
@mjkabir I think i misframed the question. So thinker is currently an app that saves data on the disk and not on cloud. I wanted to understand how safe people feel storing data on the cloud vs how comfortable are they of it being on their disk which might crash anytime and loose data