Can open-source models replace ChatGPT?

Anil Matcha
20 replies

Replies

Chad Lynch
I believe that while they have the potential to be powerful tools, they cannot completely replace ChatGPT's ability to generate natural and coherent responses in a wide range of contexts.
Ilko Kacharov [Team-GPT]
Just finished reading about StableVicuna and it really looks like the era of the closed models will be over soon. https://stability.ai/blog/stable...
Christian Grundemann
it will be a while for sure. the technical accessibility for a strong model that ChatGPT gives is unparalleled. give it a year or two, and we’ll def see some open-source models being unsiloed from the more boring use-cases they’re being used for now (spam detection etc)
David J. Kim
Google themselves believe so. "We have no moat, and neither does OpenAI"
Héctor Magaña
@between_team Google is not a person. An internal researcher at Google made that statement. Personally, I foresee the main problem that AI tech will face in the near future to be the licensing of datasets. Current laws do not protect creators against their data being used to power these AI models, this will change soon. I think that when such laws are implemented properly both open and closed models will be severely impacted but I aso expect Tech Companies to be working on creating internal high-quality datasets as we speak which may give them an edge over open models.
Interesting question! While open-source models are definitely making strides in the NLP space, I don't think they can fully replace ChatGPT just yet. However, it's great to see more options becoming available in this field 😄
Richard Gao
I think not. Mainly because ChatGPT and other OpenAI models will use user data to train, whereas open source models will not However, I think it might be possible if the open source community contributes computing resources to do so
Prerana Chakraborty
I feel if the open source models are trained on that vast amount of data and resources, they are capable of replacing ChatGPT.
Hashnimo
Yes, but maybe Google purposely leaked the "We have no moat!" document.
Florian Myter
There's a number of limits (e.g. token sizes) for which I don't see how open-source models could beat OpenAI with its massive resources.
Hashir Ahmed
While open-source language models are a valuable tool in natural language processing, they are not yet at the same level as ChatGPT in terms of overall performance and versatility.
Mehmet Çetin
If someone or a crowd can fund an OS project for millions of dollars just to train models, why not.
Kamohelo Radebe
Certainly, open-source models can do so. But my twist here is that they should be allowed to flourish in the market, and large enterprises who may have their own agenda should refrain from colluding. But on a product capability basis? Sure!
Dhruv
We seem to be moving in that direction, but not quite there yet. Current open-source models can match the capabilities till GPT-3 or GPT-3.5, but it's still far off from GPT-4 / ChatGPT. But this has been the trend so far, open source models take time and usually lag behind the commercial ones, till they hit an inflexion point, and actually start improving and beating closed-source ones. We hope that the inflexion point comes soon. Another direction would be that we get smaller, use-case-specific models which beat ChatGPT, trained on your own data or data that you're interested in.
Shreya Meduri
I think it is possible.
amar kumar
I don't think so, ChatGPT is gonna get even stronger and more powerful in terms of performance. So eventually people will stick to ChatGPT..
Leif Andreas Rudlang
From a business perspective, the pricing of ChatGPT is hard to beat. If you want to self-host, or host in a cloud, you are going to need some serious scale for that investment to be worthwhile.
Ed SK
Closed source models will try anything in their power to make their concept more valuable than open source models. I think it's plausible that open source models might replace chatgpt in a few years but for now OpenAI has the first mover advantage. A game changer would be running open source models on phones/iot devices