• Subscribe
  • Building in public is the best decision I made 🤩 Free feedback, great community.

Iuliia Shnai
    24 replies
    In the begging of the year I start writing about what I am building. I am writing daily on Twitter and LinkedIn. And it was an interesting journey. The best is that i got a lot of feedback , by sharing the process. I still believe that community in Linkedin is not so interested or build around build in public. But Twitter is great Let’s connect if you r building in public or wanna start https://twitter.com/shnai0 https://www.linkedin.com/in/iuliia-shnai Anyone building in public? 👋

Replies

Dave-Anthony Smith
    That's good news! Building in public is not a bad idea, especially if you're not afraid of getting a bruised ego every now and then. I agree, professionals on Linkedin prefer seeing a finished product. They are looking for a finished solution to their problem. Whereas X (Twitter) is built on storytelling, so people on X love to hear about the come up.
    Dave-Anthony Smith
    @iuliia_shnai @dzaitzow good point Daniel. The risk of losing customers is very real when you make yourself vulnerable.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @pointae Dave totally agree with what you say. Twitter is best for sharing the journey, Linkedin is all about the final verified product with a team of 100 people, funding and etc. Which is kind of not in the category of building in public anymore.
    Daniel Zaitzow
    @pointae @iuliia_shnai a bruised ego and sometimes the risk of a lost customer if your product is not polished enough for them to wait around. I agree that X people like a come-up / underdog story but there are places (where many developers live) that products can get picked apart so I think both ecosystems have their risk profile.
    Daniel Hunt
    How do you decide what feedback to take on board and what feedback to ignore? I find there's always a mix of great and terrible feedback and it can take a lot of time and effort to work out which is which 😅
    Iuliia Shnai
    @daniel_hunt4 if you get so much feedback for your startup that you spend time on selecting you are lucky person:)) But in general by analyzing the experience and user persona of person who leave feedback.
    Judith Amarachi 💙
    That's interesting, Luliia. How did you handle the feedback?
    Tyler Scott
    Just about to start my build in public journey. I'll give you a follow on Twitter/X to watch your build in public journey as well.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @scottlabsai Cool Tyler! My best suggestion would be to make it from a personal account. Even if you write about your company, people like to hear from people, rather than companies:)) Happy to follow the journey.
    Yannick
    That's really nice ! I want to do the same but I have a question about this : Have you begun your build in public journey on twitter with 0 follower and grew your follower base since then ? It seems hard to be visible on X having few followers.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @mho22 I started with 100 followers, who were there from long time ago. They were not at all the ones who were interested in tech. I remember launching on Product Hunt and the community was super supportive and help me a lot. I see people starting from 0 but making it really well. It is all about engagement.
    Julien Zmiro
    Intercom
    Intercom
    Top Product
    So cool! I'm trying to get better at building in public. Do you have any tips to get started?
    Iuliia Shnai
    @zmiro Just start sharing what your doing:)) Be curious and supportive to other people, what they building. It is all about that:)) community. I wrote people dm, and discussed with them my and their products:)) and still do it.
    Julien Zmiro
    Intercom
    Intercom
    Top Product
    @iuliia_shnai That's great advice, thanks a lot Luliia :)
    Ilyes Ouhadj
    Just connected on Twitter, you got such a great journey, you've definitely made a great decision by building in public! Giving and getting genuine feedback and value is what makes this platform the best!
    Iuliia Shnai
    @zedkira Great Ilyes! I see you are writing valuable content about SaaS:) I will follow your journey:)
    Ilyes Ouhadj
    @iuliia_shnai Great connecting with you Iuliia.
    Launching soon!
    The feedback I've received from my community has been invaluable. It's helped me improve my product and make it better for my users.
    Iuliia Shnai
    @qudsia_ali i agree I also feel the same:)
    Govind Mohan
    How do you bootstrap your community to get feedback?
    adam albo
    great luliia, but isn't it taking a lot of time from the Work itself ?
    Iuliia Shnai
    @suchback indeed it take a lot of time, but time we’ll spend. But let’s say you produce content and share from the company profile or from you. The second one always get more response
    André J
    It's fine. as long as you have a strong moat. or else there will be vampire attacks