Are extroverts better at sales?

A few months ago, I had a conversation with a girl who said she wanted to do sales. She was an introvert and she confirmed it to me herself. That's when my thoughts about the fact that only extroverts belong in the sales department were shattered. How do you perceive it? Are extroverts better at sales? Or is there an "exception" for introverts? Share your personal experiences.

Replies

Isa Tanis
Unfortunately, yes
Business Marketing with Nika
@isatanis what can our introvert fellows do with that? To be better at sales?
Emad Ibrahim
They definately take rejection better :)
@emadibrahim yeah, when they are rejected, they simply move on. But I am so frightened to be rejected that I do not even try :DDDD
Ghulam Abbas
Thanks for sharing! Extroverts might thrive on social energy, but introverts can also build strong client relationships. It really depends on individual strengths.
@abbas143official Do you find yourself introverted/extroverted? What have you observed about yourself in these terms?
Ghulam Abbas
@busmark_w_nika I consider myself more introverted. How about you?
Konrad S.
Well, people are not completely introvert or completely extrovert (e.g. if that girl WANTED to do sales she can't be completely introvert). It's kind of a continuum (and not even just a 1-dimensional). So the interesting question is how much extroversion one needs to do sales, and how much introversion can be beneficial.
@konrad_sx You have put a very interesting question but very hard to find the answer. :D But I think it also depends on the recipient. When you have a very extroverted client โ€“ He/She can lead the discussion. I can see it during my interviews โ€“ when I have a very extroverted speaker I am happy because he/she does most of the job :D and I only listen to :D
Casper Brix
There are different takes on it but a person is not 100% extrovert or 100% introvert. There is a unique split for each person. A split that also varies from personal and business situations. In my opinion, it's about where you get your energy from: Where you recharge your batteries. An introverted person can be great at sales but if it drains his/her energy after a day it can be a struggle in the long run.
@casper_brix If one is not comfortable with the work, he/she will burn out soon. And let's imagine doing the job you hate 8-9 hours/daily, 7 years in a row. ๐Ÿ’€
Moon
I used to think only extroverts were good at sales until I met an introverted girl excelling in the field, showing personality type doesn't dictate success in sales. It's about understanding and connecting with clients, regardless of personality traits.
@moon10 @stylar_max can you describe the approach she had? How did she work with that? There have to be some good techniques.
Pablo Rodrรญguez Aracil
Extroverts are known as being better fitted for sales because of their comfort with social interactions, their ability to engage with others andbuild relationships quickly. They're usually more energetic in social themes. But... why it should be ONLY for extrovert people? It's just giving a try.
Bon
In most cases, extroverted individuals do have an advantage. However, there are times when extroverts may talk too much, which can be off-putting to others. Sincerity is the most powerful weapon; introverted people may not speak much, but they can often be more genuine. So, give it a try.
@bonvisions Pretty accurate :D some extroverted people won't shut up :DD and introverts are better at listening to the problems of customers. so yep, that can be an advantage for us.
Thatโ€™s a general perception for extroverts. But introverts and ambiverts also do great in sales because they come in with a different set of skills for the role.
@vertikanigam Do you know some introverted sales people in person?
@busmark_w_nika Yes, quite a few. One of them was one of my clients at Openthrive who actually runs a sales training organization in Boston. She is great at it.
Keith Mc
I don't believe that being an introvert or extrovert should make one better or worse at sales. The natural outlook would be to assume that extroverts will do better as they have more of a "outgoing" personality and can easily approach people whereas, it is seen, that an introvert would struggle more and not accept the rejection. I however believe that with the proper training and product knowledge, introvert or extrovert can excel as long as they believe in themselves and the product.
@keith_kadima_digital interesting concept. As an introvert, Or something in between, I could be very aligned with the product, but I created fake scenarios of how things could go bad :D so I was less likely to speak to people :D
Thomas C.
I think it helps to find it easy to connect and interact with other people. Especially with first contacts. In my experience, this is something that extroverts tend to do better than introverts. However, I know a lot of introverts who are on fire when talking about their own passions, especially in front of others who they think understand what they are talking about. So I think it is easier for extroverts to reach a lot of people, while introverts can be good salespeople, too, depending on the situation.
@thomas_c_2 That's it! I could speak for hours on any topic when I am truly interested in it. :D Are you extroverted?
Sree
I don't think it's a matter of introversion or extroversion. Understanding what the other person is thinking and feeling is more important in sales because it allows you to connect on a deeper level and address their specific needs and concerns. In other words, empathy.
@sreenington But TBH, how many sales people in your environment are extroverts vs introverts? :D
Mark Lemuel M
introverts: analysis and critical thinking extroverts: street smart and experience
@kilopolki why do you think that? Because I know some extroverts who are analytical.
Geeta Thakur
The more you capture the other person using your words, the more easily you can manipulate them.
Umar Saleem
I Blv extroverts might shine in high-energy networking events while introverts can excel in personalized, consultative selling. Both can be successful in sales by playing to their strengths.
@umar_saleem @betty_williams2 :D :DD I have a very weird type of humour.
Umar Saleem
@betty_williams2 @busmark_w_nika This is good. Just keep entertaining the community with your humor๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
Abdellah
I believe if someone know how to connect with the leads and customers, understand what they want to solve and achieve, he/she will be able to close more sales regarding of the personality traits.
@abdellah_abbous that makes sense. Anyway, it could be worth doing some study/research on how people (Intro/Extroverts) were good at selling. :D
Nathalie
Extroverts tend to do well in sales because of their sociability, confidence, and ability to build rapport quickly. However, success in sales also requires good listening skills, empathy, and adaptability, which are traits that introverts may possess. Therefore, both extroverts and introverts can succeed in sales with the right approach.
Rowe Morehouse
Introverts can of course be good sellers, but If you can't improve (fix) a fundamental fear of rejection then you are not going to make it in a sales role. A lot of being successful in sales is resilience -- and how much rejection you can take. It's part of the required set of competencies.
Anh Ngo (Austin)
I think Sale all come back to our willingness to listen :) If she has great listening skills and being able to drill the insights, struggles from the conversation, she can do sale. Would recommend the book: Demand Side Sale