AMA: I built a side hustle to 40 employees, then sold it (and I don't know how to code).

Justin Ferriman
5 replies
In 2012, I started a blog about learning management. That blog turned into a lifestyle business when I launched the software. Then things got real. By the time I exited, the business had ~40 employees. The company was https://learndash.com I have experience at just about every part of the software company lifecycle. From launch, to security scares, year-over-year rev. growth, hiring, inbound marketing strategies, exiting using investment bankers, etc. This experience is helping me significantly streamline my process as I build https://gapscout.com I figure I can lend some informal guidance to others as well. Should you have any questions, I'd be happy to help if I can! Just don't ask me anything about coding. I don't know anything about it. 😅

Replies

Lax Mariappan
Hi Justin, A happy user of LearnDash If you were to build a company/plugin/software in a crowded market like WordPress what would you do? Where and how do you start? P.S Gapscout looks interesting and promising Thanks
Justin Ferriman
@lax_mariappan Thanks Lax! I'm excited about GapScout as well. LearnDash doesn't have a free version, as I built the entire product around a premium one only. Today, you'd be better served to create a free version and host it on the WP repo to help with initial traction. In addition, building an audience (before launch) is always a good idea, be it with WP or any other industry. Getting involved in the community is also key for WP products. The WP ecosystem is quick to try out new plugins from people that they come across in groups and through recommendations. Start forming your network early and make yourself visible (not just your product).
Sneha Saigal
Hey Justin, thanks for sharing your journey. It's inspiring to see what you did with LearnDash and GapScout looks amazing! I am curious to know if you get a lot of DMs for people wanting to "pick your brain" about how you navigated these steps. There are definitely a lot of other indie creators who would be glad to learn from you.
Justin Ferriman
@sneha_saigal Thanks! :) Occasionally, yes, people will reach out. I turn down paid consultations because it's just not something I can put my energy into at the moment. That's sort of why I started this AMA (to centralize a place where people can ask questions).
Sneha Saigal
@justinferriman That makes sense and it's really helpful to go through AMA sessions like this. Thanks a lot :)