AMA about our Y Combinator immigrant student founder journey & Typedream's 3rd PH launch!🚨

Kevin Chandra
10 replies
Hi, Kevin here! AMA πŸ‘‹ We’re doing our 3rd launch on Product Hunt next Monday because Kat Manalac at Y Combinator told us to launch, launch, and launch again. I’ve been building internet projects with my 4 other co-founders as international students since our freshman year and it recently grew to a family of 19 people. I still can’t believe it. 19! In 2020, we got into YC. πŸ”₯ In 2021, our previous company, Cotter, got acquired by Stytch and we started Typedream. πŸ’΅ Since our 2021 launch on Product Hunt in which we won #1 Product of the Day, of the Week, and of the Month, we finally found our crowd! We religiously build for them! πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦ AMA about Y Combinator, being an immigrant student founder, fundraising, really anything!πŸ‘‡

Replies

Eric Angelo
Hey Kevin, how do you stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies in your industry, and how do you decide which ones to incorporate into your products? Thanks! πŸ™Œ
Kevin Chandra
Yo Eric @ricangeloo ! Just surround yourself with the people who are. That way you’ll get to learn and play with the latest technologies πŸ€–
Zeng
Congratulations on your upcoming launch!πŸŽ‰ I have some questions. How do you choose the launch day? Is Monday the best day to launch? How do you guys handle the 24 hours launch on PH? Do you guys even sleep? Thank you.πŸ˜‰
Kevin Chandra
@zeng thanks Zeng! πŸŽ‰ Typical PH traffic: Mon, Fri: Medium Tue, Wed, Thu: High Sat, Sun: Low We chose Monday because we believe that’s the most suitable level of traffic for this product We sleep! We usually stay awake until 2 am and be back to answer comments at 8 am Hope that answers your question!
Soham Patil
I'm currently an international student in the US studying CS. Could you talk more about your immigrant founder journey, the immigration and visa rules around starting a company of your own, raising funds, etc? How did you and the team go about that?
Kevin Chandra
Hi there @soham_patil ! Usually for international students the visa pathway is from F1, O1, EB1. For raising funds it's incredibly helpful to join accelerators like YC!
Ryan Tando - Dezbor.com
What marketing strategies have you found to be the most effective for promoting Typedream at the beginning, and what advice do you have for founders trying to get their products noticed?
Kevin Chandra
Hey Ryan @distartin ! The most effective marketing for us has been our users advocating for us. With time, you'll start to get high profile users that will become your evangelists.
Amanda Trincher
You are a very cool example of how you can immigrate to a new country and get good success, although I am sure that you have met quite a few difficulties along the way. I am just at the start of this journey and, like you, I am planning my immigration to the United States. Now at the stage of consultations and collection of all forms with the company https://arvian-immigration.com/ in order to arrange the whole process correctly