• Subscribe
  • 365 day streak 🔥 Favorite launches (Part 1)

Isaac Martin Otim
    7 replies
    I've just decided to start writing about some of my favorite launches so maybe we can learn from them and maybe discuss them. Also, no, I'm not affiliated with the Makers, nor was I requested to write this up. Product: "OH, a potato!" by @radu_lupu + @dalma_szabo Here's why I loved it: 1. The Product name:"OH, a potato!". A catchy, playful name will always stand out from the crowd. They could have easily named it FoodSaveAI and drowned in a sea of sameness. 2. The one line pitch: "Oh, a potato! is a Chat GPT-powered iOS app that helps you find, save and plan recipes using ingredients you already have in the name of reducing food waste." Clear and easy to understand. Grade 6 level of readability (via hemingway), the lower the better, and 5-6 is pretty good. Also, very relatable, we all have ingredients lting around that we have no idea what to do with. 3. The logo and graphics: A very colourful logo with a bright yellow background will grab everyone's attention. Extra points because it funny/adorable, which makes it more shareable. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a winking potato. The graphics are all professionally done and on-brand. Very short demo video (53 seconds) because nobody is watching your 5 minute demo unless it's reeeeaaallly good. 4. The free trial: The 1 month free trial is a powerful signal, that says "We're confident you'll love it after trying it" and also gives users a chance to try it out before commiting. 5. The Makers: Yes, both Radu and Dalma stuck around throughout the day, replying and interacting with commenters. Not just the marketing founder, the BOTH of them. They used PH rewarding system to hand out "Pixel perfect", "LOL" badges to outstanding commenters. Yes, you can do this too, it's free. While there were a couple of other critical things they did, these are the ones I've found lacking most times. Results? OH, a potato! ranked #1 Product of the day AND #1 Product of the week. There's a lot we can learn from them.

Replies

Dhruv N
    Great post, thanks for sharing :)
    Isaac Martin Otim
    Mentionitis: No more (unnecessary) tabs
    @dhruv_n1 thank you! Have you seen any exciting launches recently?
    Udaya Sri
    Congrats on the big achievement! “Oh a potato!” is also one of my favorite launches. I was just thinking about unique names and how they affect SEO ranking.
    Isaac Martin Otim
    @udaya_sri thank you! Oh yes, with unique names SEO ranking is a breeze IF executed well. Otherwise they'll be competing against potato farmers and wholesalers on Google 😄
    Zoe Vivian Thornton
    Great analysis! A few other things I noticed they did really well: 1) Having a polished, professional PH listing with well-written copy, attractive visuals, and a clear CTA. They clearly put effort into crafting a compelling PH page. 2) Leveraging their waitlist to build anticipation and get an initial burst of engagement/upvotes on launch day. 3) Being highly responsive in the comments to answer questions, gather feedback, and build relationships with the PH community. Interacting heavily on launch day makes a big difference. Thanks for sharing these insights, always good to dissect and learn from successful launches! 🚀